Tell us and our members who you are, what you like and why you became a member of this site.
We welcome all new members and hope to see you around a lot!

New (OLD) Guy Checking in

More
6 months 2 weeks ago #63245 by SnowmanTX
Howdy all!  

Just signed up today after watching hours of ScannerDanner videos on YouTube!  I'm an old DIY guy who has been wrenching on anything with a motor since I got my first Honda Trail 50 in 1975.  I spent 4 years as a USAF mechanic working on helicopters, and I was a copier repairman for a couple of years at the end of the 80's before copiers became computerized.  I still do all my own auto work but now that everything is computerized I am here to expand my knowledge.

Looking forward to the journey!

Ted (SnowmanTX)

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Noah
  • Give code definitions with numbers!
More
6 months 2 weeks ago #63253 by Noah
Replied by Noah on topic New (OLD) Guy Checking in
Welcome to the fold, thanks for joining

"Ground cannot be checked with a 10mm socket"

More
6 months 2 weeks ago #63303 by SnowmanTX
Replied by SnowmanTX on topic New (OLD) Guy Checking in
Thank you Noah, glad to be here. I've got 5 cars to maintain for my family, so there is always something to work on. I've got a couple of Honda V6's that utilize VCM (variable cylinder management) that I want to understand better.

• Noah
More
6 months 1 week ago #63319 by Noah
They ruined a prolific engine platform with that system.
The J series V6 has been a powerful, dependable engine family for decades.
For what ever reason, the VCM equipped engines have poor oil sealing rings, or maybe it's the pistons themselves.
Now when one comes in for a misfire complaint, I can almost guarantee it's cylinder #2 with an oil fouled plug.
My wife's Pilot is the previous generation without VCM and has 225,000 miles on the original engine. The VCM ones I see start eating enough oil to foul plugs around 110,000 miles.
From my past foarays into these things, the rocker assembly is kind of like inside out V-TEC. Instead of using oil pressure to lock rocker arms together to engage a larger cam lobe for more power, it instead unlocks rocker arms to disable cylinders.
I think 1-2-3 on the rear head can be disabled, as well as #4 on the front head.

More
6 months 1 week ago #63324 by SnowmanTX
Replied by SnowmanTX on topic New (OLD) Guy Checking in
Hi again Noah,
There are a couple guys who've made a cottage industry selling VCM disabling devices for the J series motors. I learned about them and installed one (the VCM Muzzler) at 180,000 miles. The system works by using a resistor between the ECT sensor and the computer so the PCM thinks the engine hasn't warmed up yet. This prevents the PCM from activating the VCM at all. Here is a link to the forum that explains it all. This is great info for all the techs on here who may run into one of these Honda J series engines. They are in many Honda and Acura models.

www.odyclub.com/threads/piston-rings-mis...ested_reply_top_post

I was very impressed with how clean my cylinders were when I pulled my motor apart at 294k. I could still see crosshatched lines in the cylinders. The insides of the cats looked new as well.

Ted

• Noah
More
6 months 1 week ago #63330 by Noah
Yesterday was VCM day, lol.
Got to work yesterday and there was a VCM Odyssey with 275,000 miles,

Time to create page: 0.194 seconds