Tell us and our members who you are, what you like and why you became a member of this site.
We welcome all new members and hope to see you around a lot!

More
1 year 1 week ago #61082 by EB52
New Member was created by EB52
Hey folks,

New member from Alaska here. I have been procrastinating about learning how automotive computer controlled systems work for years, I grew up around dirt bikes and hot rods, basically all mechanical work with minimal wiring for anything, so more complex machines were intimidating.

Well fast forward a number of years and I’ve accepted that for me to continue being a diy automotive guy I’m just going to have to invest the time and money into this.

I do differential, transmission, transfer case work, suspensions, airplanes(under an a&p’s guidance of course), snow machines etc. Just about everything except the computer controlled electronics side-that has been a huge weak point for me, one which I’m working on changing.

None of these machines are getting simpler anytime soon. So I’ve started studying, I don’t really desire to become a certified mechanic but I’m doing self directed study as if it’s my goal. The more I know, the less dependent I am on shops.-I also live in an Alaskan “bush village” so there isn’t a mechanic here. If you can’t fix something yourself it costs thousands of dollars just to fly someone out and get repairs done. The community isn’t big enough to support a shop, so for my own self reliance it’s necessary.

I’d rather invest time, money, and energy into knowledge and tools than flying a mechanic back and forth. Kind of an odd situation, but it’s a good life.

Thanks to everyone who contributes to this forum. I’m formulating a few questions about scan tools,, I have an old vertronix mastertec but I’m finding it has some serious limitations. I’ve got a picoscope on the way, as well-my eyes have really been opening to the value of an oscilloscope. Thanks largely to Paul’s videos.

Well, I’ve rambled on enough for now. Hope everyone is having a great spring!

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Time to create page: 0.184 seconds