Tell us and our members who you are, what you like and why you became a member of this site.
We welcome all new members and hope to see you around a lot!

New Member from England!

More
1 year 3 months ago #59545 by DaveB
Hi my Name is Dave and I’m from the UK!

So I’ve finally joined Scanner Danner Premium!

I was close to joining last December 2021 when I first came across Paul’s content but was discouraged by a local mechanic who id confided in for some advice on doing an auto electrician course.

I was told it would be too hard, near on impossible and made to feel silly for asking as I’m from a background in Car Sales and not Auto Repairs.

I have been running my own Car sales business since the age of 19 and I’m now 39.

In the past 20 years I’ve had to trust and take the word of many mechanics and have been burnt along the way with rookie or bad advice.

Over the years I’ve picked up on some basic mechanical skills and carried out some basic jobs and even surprised myself at times.

After 20 years in business and many garage repair bills I’ve slowly learnt the symptoms of a bad car and picked up on sensor names and some basic mechanical issues and common problems so I feel I do have at least some foundation to start this course as not a total beginner to the Automotive world.

I’ve owned a couple of cheap obd2 readers/scanners over the years and 2 years ago I purchased an Autel ms908 bidirectional scan tool which I’ve used on my cars, sometimes getting lucky with live data to find a fault and sometimes getting lucky being a parts changer but slowly realised this wasn’t always the case.

This is where things changed for me. I started to notice that changing parts based on a scan tools p codes wasn’t always working and I had a lot of times where I was throwing unnecessary parts at a car which is time consuming and costs money.

This is how my local garages work and have told me to use the scan tool so I carried on until I stumbled across a post on an Autel Scan Tool Facebook Group with some members discussing learning how to use a scan tool properly and a guy called Paul Danner.

I watched a few of Paul’s videos and liked the idea but was a little unsure if I’d be able to dedicate myself to it or understand the concepts of it.

With this in my subconscious for the last 12 months I’ve slowly came back round to the idea and after watching some more of Paul’s free content on YouTube I’ve developed a real passion to want to learn this side of the industry.

Not only does it interest me it, I feel like I’m ready for a challenge. I turn 40 this year and I’m ready to delv into something new, something that has been missing and something that I’m passionate about. I think I’ve just found it.

This is my new goal in life. I am sick or listening to the parts changer mechanics who take no responsibility for throwing parts at a car and seeing what sticks.

Having seen the ugly side of how typical grease monkey mechanics diagnose cars using guesswork and p codes I’m even more determined to be that knowledgeable guy who doesn’t have to rely on bad mechanics.

I’d like to open my own garage one day in the future and this is now my new goal.

Eat sleep repeat Scanner Danner!

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
1 year 3 months ago #59562 by Chad
Replied by Chad on topic New Member from England!
Welcome to the community! B) It's never too late to get started. Like you, I didn't get started in this field until my late 30's. I would look at a Check Engine light like a deer looks into the headlights of an oncoming car. I knew nothing. I found ScannerDanner on youtube, in 2010, and it changed my life. :cheer: I am, now, the "go to", for drivability and electrical problems, in my area. Something tells me that you will, soon, be the "go to" in your area. ;)
Don't hesitate to shout out for help, if you have trouble understanding something. We are all here to help each other learn. :)

"Knowledge is a weapon. Arm yourself, well, before going to do battle."
"Understanding a question is half an answer."

I have learned more by being wrong, than I have by being right. :-)
The following user(s) said Thank You: DaveB

More
1 year 3 months ago #59563 by DaveB
Replied by DaveB on topic New Member from England!
Thanks Chad it’s good to hear your success story and it’s certainly reassuring to hear that you started late and with zero experience!

Ok so what’s the best/quickest way to learn?

I haven’t ordered the book or the E book yet. I’m thinking best way might be to watch the videos and take notes!?

I’m not sure how much time per day to dedicate to it either.

I really want to do this and I’m sure there will be areas where I get stuck or don’t understand something.

Can I ask how long it took before you were diagnosing cars and making money or just actually fixing things?

I am in this for the long term now and just want to keep working and learning.

I just need to stay motivated and develop a plan and strategy that I can stick to in order to get through the course and retain the information .

Which section to start in the course?

More
1 year 3 months ago - 1 year 3 months ago #59564 by Chad
Replied by Chad on topic New Member from England!
I started being the "go to" guy for electrical issues after I learned about voltage drop testing. Most people avoid electrical problems because of the mystery of the unknown. This video took the mystery away. Electrical testing became fun. And after some practice with real-world faults, it became easy.

Reading and interpreting scan data, however, I didn't pick up so quickly. That's where ScannerDanner Premium came to the rescue. I recommend starting at the beginning, with chapter one, and work your way through to the end. I had ScannerDanner videos playing even when I wasn't watching them. I would hear him talking about something that would catch my attention, and I would stop what I was doing and listen. After about year of living and breathing ScannerDanner videos, I became comfortable with my newfound skills.

In my opinion, the best/quickest way to learn is to find a broken vehicle, dive in, and get started. You will soon realize that you have questions. Tackle each question one at a time. If you are persistent, you will find/learn the answer.

"Knowledge is a weapon. Arm yourself, well, before going to do battle."
"Understanding a question is half an answer."

I have learned more by being wrong, than I have by being right. :-)
Last edit: 1 year 3 months ago by Chad.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Noah, DaveB

More
1 year 3 months ago #59634 by DaveB
Replied by DaveB on topic New Member from England!
Thanks Chad 1 Year is good going!

I will watch that Video now, the problem seems to be retaining the info! I have purchased both ebook & paper copy so I think that will help for me to take notes etc..

I sell cars for a living so I always end up with a faulty car, I have a Kia Ceed which is stuck in limp mode and a Mitsubishi with an ABS fault. I just don't trust the scan tool anymore as it will flag up a fault code but its not always directly linked to that fault code!

Time to create page: 0.214 seconds