Tell us and our members who you are, what you like and why you became a member of this site.
We welcome all new members and hope to see you around a lot!

Thinking about a career change, advice would be apprecited!

More
7 years 1 day ago #9234 by scottberggren
Hey everyone, I've been watching Paul's videos for a while now, have the book and am going to join premium soon so I can start working through it. I'm just a home mechanic, but I'm tossing around the idea of being more than that.

I've been a teacher/principal for the last 16 years. Most of those years were in the US, but we also lived overseas for a while. Teaching has been a great career, and I'm in a great place right now with my work.

If you had asked me the question "If money wasn't an issue, what would you want to do with your life" I would have consistently said a mechanic. I opened an electronics repair business (guitar amps) that I ran for three years before I went overseas, so I like fixing and learning and troubleshooting.

My question is how to start moving that direction to test the waters. I know I love fixing, but I might hate the shop environment. Or maybe I want to do it freelance on the side. So here's some questions.

1. How would you guys suggest I test out being a mechanic? Should I look for a shop or dealership (any opinions on which one?) and see if I can work a few nights a week? Should I look for a tech school and start there?

2. What about ASE tests? I think I could pass the G1 (though I may be overconfident...), but should I even look at that right now? I just thought if I walked into a shop for a job/internship it would look good if I said I already passed G1.

I'm going to continue to learn from Paul's book and my two cars that always need some maintenance, but what advice would you give to someone who is considering a second career (maybe just a side job) as a mechanic?

Thanks for any advice!

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
7 years 1 day ago #9247 by Tyler
Hey scott, happy to have you here. :cheer:

About how to test out being a mechanic... I feel a good way for you to test the waters would be to find some kind of part time position at an independent repair shop. It's less pressure than a dealer, and will give you an overall better perspective on the business than a tire/oil chain facility. The owners of indy shops have a (bad?) habit of working on anything that'll fit inside the doors, which means you'll get exposure to all kinds of vehicles. Some times you'll be doing oil changes, some times you'll be elbow deep in drum brakes on some muddy farm truck. :lol: Plus, the experienced techs are more willing to answer your questions and let you look over their shoulders.

Tech school is an option, depending on what kind of schools you have in your area, and tuition. For what it's worth, I got a two year degree from a local community college, and it's one of the best things I've ever done. BUT, your experience may vary, and it may be tough to justify the cost if this isn't going to become your day job. As I'm sure you know, having the right teacher is just as important as the class and material.

I find that ASE test look fantastic to employers, as far as getting your foot in the door. But, I can say that most entry level techs don't have ANY kind of ASE credentials, so I wouldn't worry too much about having it or not. You're aware of the two year work experience requirement for certification? IMO, you might be better off focusing your efforts on Brakes or Steering/Suspension instead, as these are certs that carry more weight with employers.

More
6 years 10 months ago #10805 by Rockyroad
Hey, just some thoughts on career change. Buy some broken cars and fix them,sell them and make money. You won't have anyone over your shoulder. You won't feel like your not contributing to your paycheck. You'll get those people you sell the cars to as customers and by word of mouth several more all while you hone your skills unrushed. You'll be surprised how quickly you'll accumulate tools,knowledge and people wanting you to fix stuff. Or "just have a look at it before they take it to a shop". You don't necessarily need a business plan. Just let your curiosity and desire lead you at your own pace.

Someday I'll figure this out

More
6 years 9 months ago #11517 by MartinKuliza
Hi Scottberggren
How are you mate, my name is Martin, i'm a new member from Sydney.

Now, mate,
I'm also a guitarist, since the age of 14 (i just recently turned 43)
i'm also a business owner of 16 years (I.T. and Telecommunications)

let's speak frankly, because i don't really understand what happened here

Question 1. How old are you ?

Question 2. is this correct ?
Let me chance a wild guess,..
if you have been a teacher for the last 16 years and lets say you got to that stage by the age of 20 (i highly doubt it, but ok hehe) and you also ran a business fixing Amps for 3 years
so..that would put you between 40 - 45 years of age approx... so. You're about my age i'm guessing

Question 3. Why did the Amp Repair business fail ?
i mean... ok, i know that people would rather buy amps than fix them.
sort of like if you try to open a VHS or DVD or TV Repair shop..... it just isn't going to happen anymore due to the low purchase cost of those items today (it's not the 80's anymore)
so.. is it that, or is that you made a business mistake

WHY I ASK is...
if it's a business fundamental mistake, i suggest doing a small business course
i also suggesting getting a good financial advisor (generally you only have to pay them like $100, some even do it for free, and you learn what you need to get by)

as for the Mechanic thing

Firstly, again, i'm in sydney and the way a person becomes a mechanic here .. is as follows :

1. You get an Apprenticeship (in USA speak, this means Internship)
2. You have to go to TAFE (Aka College, Meaning.. College, not University) TAFE gives you the theory training for 4 years
3. You have to get yourself employed full time by someone who is willing to put you on.
(Now remember, you are going to get Shit money because your a Year 1 Apprentice)

after you slog it out for 4 years while paid minimum wage at best

4. You have to register yourself as a business
5. (in Sydney ) you have to approach a company called ASIC (Regulatory body), you have to apply for a "MECHANICS LICENCE"
6. in order to get it, you have to PROVE
a) min 2 years industry experience - Knowledge
b) you have to have at least 2 Industry references

if you do all that, YOU'RE A LEGALLY REGISTERED MECHANIC

i would imagine a similar process would occur in the states,
i would suggest speaking to someone local or ask a Mechanical Engineer (not a Mechanic), Most Mechanics will say "I don't know, i just work for the boss" hehe

BUT. WHY BOTHER WITH ALL THIS, What's the point
Mate, you are my age approx.

who cares about the internship
the point of the internship is to GAIN KNOWLEDGE

you can gain knowledge FOR FREE on the internet, i mean Scanner Danner (paul) has years of experience that he is sharing
Why would you pay Thousands of dollars

DO THE SMART THING.... EARN WHILE YOU LEARN

if i was you , i would do this

1. Google Used Cars For Sale
2. Go to Gumtree and look for Used cars for sale
3. Go to Gumtree and Look for Volunteer Repair Roles in the community

When you have all that done

4. Save yourself around $2,000
5. Make sure that you have some decent bargaining skills.... if you don't and you want them, ASK ME, I'll be happy to help

6. Ok, so now you have leads, You have a Float to work with .
Go out and buy 1 Cheap car, approx $600 - $1,000

7. Fix it up, Detail it and Sell it
Post it for $3,000 Max $4,000 (depending on how much repair work was needed)
Allow for some bargaining, and you'll probably find that you'll make around $1,000 - $1,500
on the car

8. You now have $3,500, Buy another car, or 2 Cars Maximum and do the same thing
this will get you experience and clients.

9. once you feel you are competent enough, Register yourself as a Mechanic.
Go to Gumtree and any other local classifieds that you can find free of charge.
Post an ad "DO YOU NEED A MECHANIC - WE COME TO YOU"
do that, and You'll get calls and you'll get clients

10. once you feel you have a grasp for this stuff you can expand to other things

11. Idea 1 for expanding. TEACH OTHER BEGINNERS TO DO THE SAME THING AND CHARGE THEM A REASONABLE FEE FOR THE COURSE, Say $200 to learn how to flip cars..... Seriously... as if that's not a bargain and as if they can't make that money back in the first sale.

12. Idea 2. But... You're thinking... MARTIN HOW CAN I DO THAT WHEN THEY DON'T KNOW
HOW TO FIX CARS.
Well. Firstly, YOU'RE A TEACHER.
Secondly . MAKE TUTORIAL VIDEOS and sell them for a small fee

13. Idea 3. Provide workshops at your place or at their place, charge for your time.

You'll probably find that you can charge a very decent rate.
in Australia a Self Employed Mechanic will make approx $70 Per hour - $160 Per hour Depending on experience
I don't know the rates in America, but i would say Start at around $70 or $80 and judge the response of people.

If i were you ,i wouldn't even worry about the internship

Get your knowledge down
Get your skillset down
Get Your hands dirty and get industry specific experience with all different models of cars
and just put your services out there

if you're skilled
if you're honest

Who's not going to use your service

THAT'S MY ADVICE TO YOU MATE
Take care
Hope it helps
The following user(s) said Thank You: Noah

Time to create page: 0.227 seconds