This is the optional category header for the Suggestion Box.

Challenge to Mr. Danner

More
6 years 3 months ago #15663 by chisel
Some time ago a mechanic buddy of mine had a Toyota Noah van (2.0 L, early 2000s) in the shop that had been seen by five other mechanics. The Noah would not cooperate with any of them (nor eventually, with my friend). It simply would not rev out. The van appeared to idle normally but on the throttle in stationary position, would go to about 2500 rpm and beat back down. When test driven it would limp along and not make any effort to get out of its own way. Some type of code reader was tried but the Noah confused even that tool so I really can’t remember anything conclusive about that effort. A fellow taxi driver and friend of the van’s owner, offered an identical model of his own with the understanding that his colleague could swap over any parts to find what was ailing. The donor van was of course, in sound working order.
Parts were painstakingly swapped one at a time but the beleaguered Noah ignored all of them. My friend eventually gave up and the van was towed off to another chap. Amazingly it came back in about two days and was perking – running, fine business. The owner naturally asked the repair man what had been the problem but the fellow would not tell him. Indeed the van owner was told that if the fault had to be revealed then the charges would be (I think) triple.
I know, I know! Our extortion and racketeering laws need updating but these are the islands for Goodness sake! We take these things with a chuckle.

Anyhow. This is my challenge to Mr. Danner. How about a vacation down to the Lesser Antilles? If you can make it, I’ll work on a deal for you on accommodation and transport. The only condition is that you have to work on ONE car or light goods vehicle that has broken down electrically. The subject will not be doctored, it will be one that broke on its own – a case like the Noah above mentioned and not something absurdly easy like a discharged battery etc. You’d be free to video tape for the Premium or free channel as you choose. How about it?

If that is too much, how about remote diagnostics? Medical doctors are already doing this for non emergency cases. Given the quality of HD video and audio, you could be virtually under the bonnet or dash-board of a car while in your own yard or at Rosedale. If the diagnostic tools of prospective clients are PC/laptop based then the computer and software could be operated remotely via the internet.
Worth a thought anyhow.

Cheers!

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
6 years 1 month ago #18090 by ScannerDanner
Lol first time I saw this! Heck yeah I'd come to a Caribbean island and do some filming and troubleshooting. But I'm bringing my family. ;-)

Don't be a parts changer!
The following user(s) said Thank You: chief eaglebear

More
6 years 1 month ago #18097 by chisel
Replied by chisel on topic Challenge to Mr. Danner
"....But I'm bringing my family...."

But of course! Especially taking into account all of that global warming powder that somehow fell on the car in your most recent upload (vehicle with the broken blower motor).

As other offers and invitations come in, remember I asked first.

Goodness! What a treat it would be for all of us to have you work on an Asian vehicle originally specified for this region, wherein the one service manual/wiring diagram in known existence is printed in Japanese/Korean - and in the possession of the manufacturer in Asia.
The following user(s) said Thank You: chief eaglebear

Time to create page: 0.253 seconds