This is the optional category header for the Suggestion Box.

Can't post a How2 because it has too many links...

More
7 years 9 months ago - 7 years 9 months ago #857 by Paul Marchant
Having seen Paul on YouTube with his Fluke PV350 measuring spark timing with respect to compression, I found myself wanting one.
Having just bought a Verus, I'm temporarily too poor to buy the Fluke or Snap-On transducer (or food or petrol, come to that).

So, I've done a bit of research and I now understand how the Verus and Vantage Pro work with regards to pressure transducers.

I've built my own and got it work perfectly, for about £31 all in.

I thought that people here might be interested, so I spent ages writing a comprehensively detailed 'How-To' with loads of pictures and links to where I bought the parts, and tried to post it as a topic under the Diagnostic Tools and Techniques section.

After an hour and a half of not being able to get it to work, I finally spotted the "Error - your post has too many links" (or words to that effect), which appears off-screen at the top of the page.

Really?

Seriously?

It's got a dozen pictures linked in from Imgur and apparently that's too many so I can't post it.

I've got another How2 that I've prepared, but again I know I'll run into the same problem.

For now I'll post them as a brief description and an attached .PDF file, but it would be nice to have them as normal forum posts.

It strikes me as a fundamentally pointless and arbitrary restriction. Is there any chance that this can be changed?
Last edit: 7 years 9 months ago by Paul Marchant. Reason: Corrected misuse of English language

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
7 years 9 months ago #862 by Dylan
Hey Paul. I understand. But we're constantly trying to improve the website. After all it has only been online for a month ;) And we definitely like suggestions. Let me talk about this 'issue' with onyx, website administrator. PDF shouldn't be a problem. The links, I don't know but he will.

More
7 years 9 months ago #866 by Paul Marchant
Thanks - I'll keep an eye out to see how things turn out.

In other news.... So I successfully managed the pressure transducer How2 in a roundabout way (PDF file) :) , and I tried to post another How2 (modifications to a CalVan 76 / Sealey TA130 relay circuit tester), again as a brief topic post and a PDF.

Perhaps it's not my day for technology today. When I try to submit the post as a new topic, it gives the impression that things are working (Uploading 10%, 20% etc) but then drops me back to the topic index page, with my upload nowhere to be seen. :( I've tried a number of times and it's always the same. Hey, maybe I've just upset the Forum hosting software somehow.... Any ideas on this?

Cheers,

Paul

More
7 years 9 months ago - 7 years 9 months ago #870 by Paul Marchant
I now understand why I can't get the second How2 to work. "Error - The file size exceeds the maximum set by the administrator", or so I'm told. Perhaps this size limit could be adjusted? For now, I've done it as a link to my Google Drive account.

Cheers,

Paul
Last edit: 7 years 9 months ago by Paul Marchant.

More
7 years 9 months ago #873 by billtest
IF there is a huge post like that it can be an utter PITA to load that many pictures/ content on that small of a screen in the forum. That is why there are default settings for this. 12 photos? how many links did it have and yes there is a size limit for pdf well any content. try and reduce the side of the pdf.

-onyx

More
7 years 9 months ago - 7 years 9 months ago #877 by Paul Marchant
>IF there is a huge post like that it can be an utter PITA to load that many pictures/ content on
>that small of a screen in the forum. That is why there are default settings for this.
>12 photos? how many links did it have

One ebay link and twelve picture links to Imgur.
It's a reasonably involved process, so I tried to clarify with the pictures to encourage other people to give it a try..

>and yes there is a size limit for pdf well any content. try and reduce the side of the pdf.

I tried to, but even with re-sizing the pictures I couldn't get the second PDF much below 2.5MB. I'm not sure why, because I did manage it with the first one.

It doesn't really matter, in that the Google Drive link is a workaround. My motivation for the two How2's was that I'd learned a lot from the ScannerDanner videos on Youtube and in return I was trying to give something back via the forum. In the past I've done similar posts on VXON (it's a Vauxhall / Opel forum for the UK) and they've gone down quite well there. :(

Cheers,

Paul
Last edit: 7 years 9 months ago by Paul Marchant.

More
7 years 9 months ago #883 by Dylan
Ok I see onyx posted a reply to your question.

I tried to, but even with re-sizing the pictures I couldn't get the second PDF much below 2.5MB. I'm not sure why, because I did manage it with the first one.

Hmm I'll ask onyx sir.

More
7 years 9 months ago #884 by Dylan
I just opened the link to your PDF. It's about 4.07MB.... You're sure the 2nd file isn't bigger?
If you want you can send it to me.

More
7 years 9 months ago #896 by Paul Marchant
When I try it, the first one (DIY Verus Pressure Transducer) is 943KB (this one did upload, and you're hosting it).

The second PDF (Calvan 76 / Sealey TA130 Relay circuit tester.) that I've linked to is 4.17MB

I tried squashing it down, but could only get to 2.3MB with smaller pictures. I couldn't get that to upload - got the file too big error. As Google are hosting it, I stuck the full-resolution version in with the Google Drive link.

I don't really understand why I can't squash it down as small as the first one, in that I think the first one had more pictures in it. Computers.... meh...

I think I've still got the 2.3MB version on the computer in the kitchen (I'm out in the garage at the moment). I can email it to you if you wanted to tack it on to my topic post...

Cheers,

Paul

More
7 years 9 months ago #939 by billtest
did you name it the same thing as the old one? that may be the issue.

-onyx

More
7 years 9 months ago #941 by Paul Marchant
I've just tried it with a renamed version of the PDF. No error message, but still no success...

Cheers,

Paul

More
7 years 9 months ago #951 by Dylan

The second PDF (Calvan 76 / Sealey TA130 Relay circuit tester.) that I've linked to is 4.17MB

Aaah ok. Well that's the one I was talking about. The Google Drive link works fine Paul.

Time to create page: 0.228 seconds