For those interested in the other side of eternity

Homecoming (my story)

More
2 years 4 months ago #52651 by ScannerDanner

"Lord I confess, that I've been the prodigal, I'm made for your house but I walked my own roads"....
This is my story (the prodigal)
Lost my dad to cancer when I was 6 months old. Mom taught me and my brother "Danner" of God from day one. She was faithful! Proverbs 22:6
Train up a child in the way he should go,
And when he is old he will not depart from it.
When I was 7 and Danner was 8, my mom found a "godly" man through our church. He was what she hoped for, as a husband, and as a father to her fatherless children. Day after the honeymoon, he hit me so hard for not brushing my teeth fast enough, I was in shock! I couldn't believe what just happened, my entire world changed in that moment. The abuse extended to us all. He would hit my mom, he would hit my brother. I think Danner got it the worst, not sure why. It was hard, this wasn't what we signed up for. The worst part was he would sit us down and have bible studies with us. He'd preach Jesus on one hand, while hitting us with the other. At 15 and 16 Danner and I talked of killing him. Mom finally recognized where this was headed and got a PFA (protection from abuse) to get him out of the house. My younger half brother and sisters abuse began on this day, since they had to visit their father on the weekends.
As you can imagine, my attitude toward God was one of complete distain. I wanted nothing to do with him. I wanted nothing to do with the bible. But deep down inside, no matter how hard I ran, no matter what I did, I could always feel His presence. He never let me go. How I came back to Him is for another day. In the mean time, Caleb and I just wanted to remind you all that there is hope in ALL situations! Romans 8:28 says "All things work together for good to those who love God, to those who are the called according to His purpose" This is a believers promise, this is NOT a promise to the world. It says "ALL THINGS", no some things!!
Today, I am thankful that I am fatherless. Psalm 68:5 says "A father to the fatherless, a defender of widows, is God in his holy dwelling." This is, in part, why I have always felt His presence in my life. I was special to Him. 
Today I am thankful for my stepfather. There is so much to this story and why I am thankful for this abusive man, and it is difficult to put into text. But I'll say a few things:
 He gave me a younger brother and sister! He showed me how NOT to treat my wife and children! He made me strong! My relationship with my brother (you guys know him as Danner) is one where our bond cannot be broken. I am so close to him, as you guys see in the videos. Why? Because we battled this together! I am thankful for this, I love my brother so much, and in part because he was always there with me. My mom, she showed me what the true God looks like and how He cares for us. I am forever in debt to her. She's had a rough life, yet she has never waivered. Even in this last chapter of her life as she is battling cancer, she is as faithful as ever. I look forward to the day when she gets to be with my dad again, it makes me smile inside. How can death make me smile you ask? 

Where, O death, is your sting?
The sting of death is sin, and the power of sin is the law. But thanks be to God! He gives us the victory through our Lord Jesus Christ.
This is our temporary home. Our true home is not of this world. So today I live not for myself, but for God. Secondly, I am commanded to love my neighbors as myself. Thank you all for being my "neighbors". May I show you who He is, not by my words, but by my actions. I fail often, but this is truly my calling. 
Blessed to have my son singing to God, and watching the truth of the Scriptures come to fruition in his life. Caleb and I want to glorify Him in all that we do! Bless to have a moment with you. May the Lord's providence be over your lives today.

Don't be a parts changer!
The following user(s) said Thank You: Tyler, juergen.scholl, Oltronj, wowcoop, Ricky023

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
2 years 4 months ago #52663 by Mharlan
Replied by Mharlan on topic Homecoming (my story)
Paul, I am new to your auto community. I have been working and diagnosing cars for twenty plus years. I have really enjoyed your videos. But THIS is the best part for me. I have been a believer for many years and it is awesome to have you as a brother in the Lord.
The following user(s) said Thank You: ScannerDanner

More
2 years 1 month ago #54405 by Ricky023
Replied by Ricky023 on topic Homecoming (my story)
Well scannerdanner you story brought tears to my eyes. I preach at the church I am at right now. I too went through a lot till I got saved at 48. I have kicked myself because of all the fun I missed alone the way. Be Blessed my brother.

More
2 years 1 month ago #54500 by Oltronj
Replied by Oltronj on topic Homecoming (my story)
Your story reminds me of Proverbs 16:9 "a man's heart deviseth his way: but the Lord directeth his steps."

We might know where we want to end up but the Lord will decide how we get there.

More
2 years 3 weeks ago #54730 by Marti
Replied by Marti on topic Homecoming (my story)
The hope of this promise that God gives to those that believe in Christ- it overcomes life's struggles, even death. It does not lead to bitterness or misery, or addiction as it is for many that we know (who reject the good news), but it leads to a sure hope and thankful in all things. You're an overcomer (and an amazing teacher for troubleshooting auto electrical systems to boot). Thanks for your ministry to others, it's not taken for granted.

Time to create page: 0.249 seconds