For those interested in the other side of eternity

New Career

More
6 years 2 months ago #17224 by Tutti57
New Career was created by Tutti57
I don't know if this is where to post, but I guess encouragement could help!

I have a friend who is a service advisor at a local dealship and I am an aquaintence of the service manager. Well, my friend told me to call the manager about a job as a tech.

I called him tonight and talked for about a half hour about the job, which would be starting as a quick service tech, but would grow as I obtained certifications.

It would be a slight reduction in pay, but I would surpass what I make now and quite a bit more over some time. Definitely a growth rate faster than where I'm at.

Right now I am the team lead for employment law team for an HR company. I'm not a lawyer. It's a team of HR professionals who specialize in employment law. (so if any shop owners or managers have questions, fire away!)

I'm 36 years old but still feel like I would be more happy making a career change at this time. My wife is supportive.

Any words of wisdom or warning?

Sent from my Moto G Play using Tapatalk
The following user(s) said Thank You: aboudi.naddaf

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Noah
  • Give code definitions with numbers!
More
6 years 2 months ago #17258 by Noah
Replied by Noah on topic New Career
I think it's great to have opportunities open up like this. Even if nothing comes of it, it's good know that you have options.
It's also great that your wife is supportive of you, gotta have the home team on your side.

My instinct tells me that the switch could be troublesome, but if it's something you feel strongly about and if the people who work there already are 1) happy, 2) making good money and 3) willing to help you along, it could be rewarding.

The job is obviously going to be much more physical in nature, and at 36, you're only opening yourself up lasting work related injuries.
At 33, I've a host of scars and aches that I wouldn't have had I chosen a more civilized path to support my family.

Another thought is the investment in tooling. It's not such a "start up" investment since you'll be buying tools quite literally for the rest of your career.

And it's just hard, lol.

I'm not trying to discourage you, but I see a lot of nice snap on "beginners" tool sets on Craigslist from people who have "had a career change"...

If it's something you seriously want in your heart, give it a go. You'll always have your other skills to fall back on.

"Ground cannot be checked with a 10mm socket"
The following user(s) said Thank You: Tutti57, chief eaglebear, aboudi.naddaf

More
6 years 2 months ago #17283 by Ben
Replied by Ben on topic Re:New Career
If I could go back to when I was a teenager making a career decision and I knew what I know now I would have chosen a different career (I'm now 30) the toll on your body isn't worth the little extra money you make if your upper level tech and it takes several years to get there... just my opinion.

Sent from my SM-N920P using Tapatalk

More
6 years 2 months ago #17284 by Tutti57
Replied by Tutti57 on topic Re:New Career
Thanks for the replies. Just gonna throw out there that sitting in chair all day also has a toll in your body, in a different way. I gained like 20lbs when I moved from an on my feet all day working job to a desk. I know what you mean though.

Honestly, it would be more rewarding for me at this point and I am going to take the plunge. Like Noah said, I can change my mind later if I need to.

My family lives a very modest life style, and right now, I'm very focused on short term gains to eliminate all debt. Once the debt is gone, you don't need to make much money and you can do whatever you want with your life.

I'm not interested in working until the typical retirement age of Americans!

Sent from my Moto G Play using Tapatalk

More
6 years 2 months ago #17292 by Ben
Replied by Ben on topic Re:New Career
Best of luck to you in your new career then!

Sent from my SM-N920P using Tapatalk
The following user(s) said Thank You: Tutti57, aboudi.naddaf

More
6 years 2 months ago #17310 by Dylan
Replied by Dylan on topic Re:New Career
Give it try Tutti57 ;) In my humble opinion you have to be passionate about this. I'm 37 and in the industry since I was 20. There were/are definitely moments when I think I'm sick and tired of this crap but in the end it's just what I love doing.
Goodluck!
The following user(s) said Thank You: Noah, Tutti57, aboudi.naddaf

More
6 years 2 months ago #17322 by Tyler
Replied by Tyler on topic Re:New Career
I say go for it if you feel it's what you want to do. :cheer: I can say that I find it very rewarding at the end of the day, and it's something I place a lot of value on.

It's got it's ups and downs. Some days you feel like you could fix anything that comes in, and other days you couldn't solve a Rubix cube if you peeled all the labels off. This is one reason I really enjoy SD videos - all the swearing and frustration is included, not edited out. :cheer:

More
6 years 2 months ago - 6 years 2 months ago #17352 by chief eaglebear
Replied by chief eaglebear on topic New Career
i am 47 and i put the trade off for twenty years i feel that if i pressed into this thing and kept trying to get better i would maybe be a master by now making at least 90 K a year or more all i can say is to press into it there is a lot to learn about todays cars you quite litterly have to be an electronics engineeer to be good at it at the highest levels all i can say is if you feel like this is your new purpose and your why for me it is
ishttps://youtu.be/iO6lvhUFLJY
Last edit: 6 years 2 months ago by chief eaglebear.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Noah, Tutti57, aboudi.naddaf

More
6 years 2 months ago #17962 by Tutti57
Thanks everyone. I did get the job and am starting in mid March. The managers plan with me is to start in the quick lane and let me get some certs, then get me out in the regular shop with a six month goal.

I'm very excited and trying to soak up some shop etiquette videos since I don't really know how that stuff goes. It's nice to start with having two friends working there.

I met the foreman and he seems like a nice guy. Been there for 32 years.

This is such a great place to go for help and advice too. I'm glad to have everyone's support here and someday would love to do a meet up with anyone who could make it in the region!

Sent from my Moto E (4) Plus using Tapatalk
The following user(s) said Thank You: Dylan, aboudi.naddaf

• Noah
More
6 years 2 months ago #17979 by Noah
Replied by Noah on topic Re:New Career
Congratulations on landing the job!
I seriously wish all the best for you and your family in your new career. You've got a good resource at your hands and a good team in your corner. ;)

More
6 years 2 months ago #18017 by Tyler
Replied by Tyler on topic Re:New Career
Congrats! :cheer: Let us know how it goes when you make the transition in mid March?

More
6 years 1 month ago #19090 by EdTheTexan
Replied by EdTheTexan on topic New Career
Everyone has had their own experience in regards to this field. If you feel like a change is needed in the career sector, don't let anything stop you. I know exactly what that feels like. I've had nothing but shit experiences in this field. I hope you have a better one. Don't take your work home; this has brought lots of pain and problems into my home life. When I sell/work a job, even an oil change, I think of all the things which could go wrong with the job. Don't be afraid to tell people to go fuck themselves when you feel justified to do so. People will use and take advantage of you if you let them. I don't mean to preach but this industry has made me bitter. Good luck.

More
6 years 1 month ago #19136 by Dylan
Replied by Dylan on topic New Career
I understand the bitterness Ed. After 18 years in this industry I've also had my fair share of frustrations. What keeps me in the industry is my passion for automotive technology and I have a hands-on mentality.
One of my biggest frustrations is the way customers see technicians/mechanics. We're like a bunch of cheaters always trying to rip them off. Second is the pay rate. In my humble opinion we're getting way too little. It's a very underestimated job. People don't have a clue what it takes to keep up and all the efforts that are needed to be a good technician these days. Constant schooling and training, research after hours, stress, pressure, health... and so on.

More
6 years 1 month ago #19194 by ScannerDanner
Replied by ScannerDanner on topic Re:New Career

Tutti57 wrote: Thanks everyone. I did get the job and am starting in mid March. The managers plan with me is to start in the quick lane and let me get some certs, then get me out in the regular shop with a six month goal.

I'm very excited and trying to soak up some shop etiquette videos since I don't really know how that stuff goes. It's nice to start with having two friends working there.

I met the foreman and he seems like a nice guy. Been there for 32 years.

This is such a great place to go for help and advice too. I'm glad to have everyone's support here and someday would love to do a meet up with anyone who could make it in the region!

If you love what you do, you will never work another day in your life. I think this is more important than anything! Money and income is all b.s., it provides you with nothing of value. Your time, your family and having a roof over your head is all you need my friend.
Love your idea of becoming debt free and living "free".
What is wealth anyway? It just becomes your new master...

Don't be a parts changer!

More
6 years 4 weeks ago #19310 by EdTheTexan
Replied by EdTheTexan on topic New Career
Amen....least I ain't the only one in the boat. Danner is right, following the heart is more fulfilling in the end. But sometimes dreams don't pay bills, least not right now. Until then, its time to embrace the daily grind! Happy Monday

More
6 years 2 weeks ago #19779 by Tutti57
So one thing I realized is that I have way more tools and tool box than I need.

In the current position, I could literally get a way with a pocket screw driver, 14mm wrench, impact, oil filter wrench, and 21mm socket.

It'll be good to have the stuff as I grow there since I have most of the tools I have because at one point I've needed them.

I'm still feeling out who knows what, to find out who I can learn certain things from, and who is willing to help me. Everyone seems pretty nice. Hopefully it stays that way.

The training modules online have been pretty good so far. I'm still in the orientation section, but I see all other aspects of the job and vehicles in there, so I'm excited to get into those. I also saw an ASE test prep section of the website that looked pretty stout.

I've been working on cars for a long time but never in an actual shop, so I'm still learning how to use equipment like the tires mount and balancer.

• Noah
More
6 years 1 week ago #19833 by Noah
Replied by Noah on topic Re:New Career
That's awesome, I'm glad to hear that you're enjoying it and adjusting well to life in the shop :)

Time to create page: 0.314 seconds