For those interested in the other side of eternity

"You can have everything and nothing at the same time"

More
6 years 6 months ago #13620 by ScannerDanner
www.backtothebible.org/ron-moore/everything-and-nothing

Just then a man came up to Jesus and asked, "Teacher, what good thing must I do to get eternal life?" "Why do you ask me about what is good?" Jesus replied. "There is only One who is good. If you want to enter life, keep the commandments." "Which ones?" he inquired. Jesus replied, "'You shall not murder, you shall not commit adultery, you shall not steal, you shall not give false testimony, honor your father and mother,' and 'love your neighbor as yourself.'" "All these I have kept," the young man said. "What do I still lack?" Jesus answered, "If you want to be perfect, go, sell your possessions and give to the poor, and you will have treasure in heaven. Then come, follow me." When the young man heard this, he went away sad, because he had great wealth. Matthew 19:16-22

The young man began with the right question: How can I have eternal life? Inherent in his query was a desire for the eternal. He longed to live beyond himself and sought the right person for counsel. It's hard to find fault with his credentials. Murder, adultery, theft, and lying were appropriately absent in his life. He had treated his parents with respect and honor. He had reached out to his neighbors. If I'm Jesus, I'm saying, "Let's ditch the fishermen, tax collector, and zealot. Follow me. Let's go change the world!" But Jesus, always able to peer deep into the messy heart, saw a clogged spiritual artery--a little problem with the god of money. When Jesus pinpointed the issue, the rich young man dropped his head and walked away from the Giver of eternal life.

I wonder what happened to that young man. If he continued on the journey away from Jesus, by all human accounts he lived a rich, full life. I am sure he and his beautiful wife lived in the big house on prime property barely visible from the road. He gave his kids everything they wanted, including the best education available. He traveled to exotic places, stayed in extravagant hotels, and ate exquisite foods. The cars he drove were the envy of many. He continued to make money. It seemed everything that he touched turned to gold. Financial advisors drooled to have him as a client. He retired in luxury to a beautiful island, spending his days swinging in a hammock, fanned by servants and fed grapes the size of tangerines. Yet people wondered why there was such sadness in his eyes.

He had everything ... and nothing ... at the same time. And then one day, the sad old man died. They said he experienced a rich, full life ... as he experienced an empty, hellish eternity. He gained the world and lost his soul.

Father, help us not make the same mistake as the rich young ruler. May we be willing to give up anything ... everything ... for You. In Jesus' name. Amen.

Don't be a parts changer!
The following user(s) said Thank You: chief eaglebear, aboudi.naddaf

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Noah
  • Give code definitions with numbers!
More
6 years 6 months ago - 6 years 6 months ago #13623 by Noah
I've always had a hard time following the logic that equates poverty with spirituality.

On one hand, the link between wealth and corruption is irrefutable.
On the other hand, I don't think it's insurmountable.

I'm certainly no scholar, but I can remember a quote to the effect of;
"..For it is easier for a camel to pass through the eye of a needle than for a rich man to enter the Kingdom of Heaven."

Soooo, in other words: Impossible.
It seems as though possession of money is the eighth deadly sin.

Which commandment was it that dictated "thou shalt not realize thine own full potential"? Didn't God create Earth for Man? But if not for man to be successful, then only to suffer and worship and procreate? (Maybe not in that order ;) )

I hope I'm not coming off as combative. That is not my intent. I just don't see why I can't be faithful to my woman, neighborly, charitable, honorable to my mother and father AND have money and possessions during my fleeting time on this planet.

By this logic, I could cure cancer, save a bus full of orphans and negotiate world peace, but still be damned to eternity of hell fire because I've managed to keep my checking account in the black and a roof over my kids heads?

I think the manner by which a man overcomes a hardship like poverty should illuminate his worth, not his willingness to remain downtrodden.

Certainly a man who will stop at nothing to attain wealth would do so on a less than righteous path.
But the man of integrity who grinds away, follows the rules and strives to do right on his road to wealth should suffer the same fate?

"Ground cannot be checked with a 10mm socket"
Last edit: 6 years 6 months ago by Noah.
The following user(s) said Thank You: aboudi.naddaf

More
6 years 6 months ago #13641 by ScannerDanner
Noah
The poverty spoken of in scripture is a spiritual one. If you know you have and can offer absolutely nothing, you are closer to salvation than someone who thinks they can earn it themselves.
If you have time, you have to read this. It is from John MacArthur (one of my favorite teachers of the Word)
www.gty.org/library/bibleqnas-library/BQ...are-the-poor-but-why

Wealth is not bad my friend. Look at Kind David and King Solomon in the bible . But wealth can corrupt too.
It is the love of money, not the money itself that is the issue. If all of your life's consumed by acquiring it, you've actually gained nothing.

"What does it profit a man to gain to whole world yet lose his own soul"
Mark 8:36

Combative? Noah please, I value this more than you know. I expect this and I welcome it.

I just don't see why I can't be faithful to my woman, neighborly, charitable, honorable to my mother and father AND have money and possessions during my fleeting time on this planet.

No arguments here brother.

Certainly a man who will stop at nothing to attain wealth would do so on a less than righteous path.
But the man of integrity who grinds away, follows the rules and strives to do right on his road to wealth should suffer the same fate?

Two totally different people. But even the man of integrity can walk the wrong path if he is not careful. Hold onto it loosely.
Proverbs 23:5
"Cast but a glance at riches, and they are gone, for they will surely sprout wings and fly off to the sky like an eagle."

Know that if you are granted with wealth that it is not so you can horde it. So you can buy all that this world has to offer.

Luke 12:15-32
"15Then He said to them, “Beware, and be on your guard against every form of greed; for not even when one has an abundance does his life consist of his possessions.” 16And He told them a parable, saying, “The land of a rich man was very productive. 17“And he began reasoning to himself, saying, ‘What shall I do, since I have no place to store my crops?’ 18“Then he said, ‘This is what I will do: I will tear down my barns and build larger ones, and there I will store all my grain and my goods. 19‘And I will say to my soul, “Soul, you have many goods laid up for many years to come; take your ease, eat, drink and be merry.”’ 20“But God said to him, ‘You fool! This very night your soul is required of you; and now who will own what you have prepared?’ 21“So is the man who stores up treasure for himself, and is not rich toward God.”
22And He said to His disciples, “For this reason I say to you, do not worry about your life, as to what you will eat; nor for your body, as to what you will put on. 23“For life is more than food, and the body more than clothing. 24“Consider the ravens, for they neither sow nor reap; they have no storeroom nor barn, and yet God feeds them; how much more valuable you are than the birds! 25“And which of you by worrying can add a single hour to his life’s span? 26“If then you cannot do even a very little thing, why do you worry about other matters? 27“Consider the lilies, how they grow: they neither toil nor spin; but I tell you, not even Solomon in all his glory clothed himself like one of these. 28“But if God so clothes the grass in the field, which is alive today and tomorrow is thrown into the furnace, how much more will He clothe you? You men of little faith! 29“And do not seek what you will eat and what you will drink, and do not keep worrying. 30“For all these things the nations of the world eagerly seek; but your Father knows that you need these things. 31“But seek His kingdom, and these things will be added to you. 32“Do not be afraid, little flock, for your Father has chosen gladly to give you the kingdom.

It is about helping others. It is about recognizing where it comes from and giving it back to Him! And I'm not talking about just giving at church. It is about filling a need wherever you see one, especially when no one is watching. Of course it is also about taking care of your family! ScannerDanner is helping put my oldest through college and my second born is working for me as my editor. My mom retired with an income that really could require her to work somewhere part time, but not on my watch my friend. These are all good things!
I just need to be careful Noah. This is something that is very close to me right now.
I cannot love money and God, I must chose one over the other. I know this world is passing away and I am still going to be okay, no matter what, because I have Him. No one can snatch me out of His hand.
John 10:27-30
27 My sheep hear My voice, and I know them, and they follow Me. 28 And I give them eternal life, and they shall never perish; neither shall anyone snatch them out of My hand. 29 My Father, who has given them to Me, is greater than all; and no one is able to snatch them out of My Father’s hand. 30 I and My Father are one.”

The reason the bible says "For it is easier for a camel to pass through the eye of a needle than for a rich man to enter the Kingdom of Heaven."? The rich man has everything he needs, he doesn't need God.

Hope this all made sense.

The following user(s) said Thank You: aboudi.naddaf

• Noah
  • Give code definitions with numbers!
More
6 years 6 months ago #13645 by Noah
Yes, it makes very good sense.
And the explanation on the link you provided was also very reaffirming.
It's more of a warning to not be defined by your possession and wealth but by your actions.
That very much aligns with my philosophy, thank you Paul!
You are a good man and rightfully deserve all the good things you have earned.

"Ground cannot be checked with a 10mm socket"
The following user(s) said Thank You: ScannerDanner, aboudi.naddaf

More
6 years 6 months ago #13646 by Olmer
well put Paul, just want you to know it seems like the new scannerdanner premuim on this website is turning out good, I just watched a video for the first time on the new plat form and its working well, praise God I get to learn from a good teacher like yourself who happens to be a brother in Christ striving for the kingdom of God trusting in Christ alone, money is not evil, just the love of it, there is nothing wrong with wanting money so you can do good and serve God, those who are rich towards God with their money and time reveals where their heart is at, well said

For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believes in him should not perish, but have everlasting life. John 3:16

Im blessed to serve a mighty God who forgives me with nothing but the grace He has given me by His son Jesus Christ
The following user(s) said Thank You: ScannerDanner, aboudi.naddaf

More
6 years 6 months ago #13647 by ScannerDanner
Olmer
Thank you for you kind words my brother.
I am honored to be surrounded by great people.

Noah
Thank you too! Even though we've never met in person, I am honored to call you my friend.
Good providence to you bro

The following user(s) said Thank You: Noah, aboudi.naddaf

Time to create page: 0.208 seconds