For those interested in the other side of eternity

Is truth relative?

More
6 years 7 months ago - 6 years 7 months ago #13057 by ScannerDanner
www.gty.org/library/blog/B170918

"Nothing is certain, and the thoughtful person will never speak with too much conviction about anything. Strong convictions about any point of truth are judged supremely arrogant and hopelessly naive. Everyone is entitled to his own truth."

"In the postmodern perspective, certainty is regarded as inherently arrogant, elitist, intolerant, oppressive—and therefore always wrong."

"Postmodernism therefore signals a major triumph for relativism—the view that truth is not fixed and objective, but something individually determined by each person’s unique, subjective perception. All this is ultimately a vain attempt to try to eliminate morality and guilt from human life."

Don't be a parts changer!
Last edit: 6 years 7 months ago by ScannerDanner.
The following user(s) said Thank You: aboudi.naddaf

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
6 years 7 months ago - 6 years 7 months ago #13081 by Andy.MacFadyen
Replied by Andy.MacFadyen on topic Is truth relative?
Sadly we are all unreliable witneses no two people experience any event quite the same way. As individuals we can never be 100% certain of what we see. Many evil people take advantage of this and try and convince us of false view. "To thine own self be true" , above all else never confuse good and evil.
If we look to history we should learn the leasons of the terrible events of the first half of the 20th century. Those terrible events happened not only because good men remained silent but millions were seduced into into losing their moral compass getting lost in a swamp of evil.
I have never really been Christain but to me the New Testement is the a pretty good guide to navigating through life.

" We're trying to plug a hole in the universe, what are you doing ?. "
(Walter Bishop Fringe TV show)

Last edit: 6 years 7 months ago by Andy.MacFadyen.

More
6 years 7 months ago #13089 by ScannerDanner
Replied by ScannerDanner on topic Is truth relative?

Andy.MacFadyen wrote: Sadly we are all unreliable witneses no two people experience any event quite the same way. As individuals we can never be 100% certain of what we see. Many evil people take advantage of this and try and convince us of false view. "To thine own self be true" , above all else never confuse good and evil.
If we look to history we should learn the leasons of the terrible events of the first half of the 20th century. Those terrible events happened not only because good men remained silent but millions were seduced into into losing their moral compass getting lost in a swamp of evil.
I have never really been Christain but to me the New Testement is the a pretty good guide to navigating through life.

It certainly is Andy.
But this brings us back to this question.
Where do we find "truth"? How can we know?
Imagine working on a car and troubleshooting a system without absolutes! It would be impossible.
There are absolute physical laws that no-one in their right mind can deny. We use these everyday just to function.
The spiritual world is no different. What I am arguing is there CANNOT be multiple ways, there CANNOT be multiple spiritual truths. There can be only one absolute truth and God is the origin of it, not man. So it is up to us to seek it out.
Jeremiah 29:13
You will seek Me and find Me when you search for Me with all your heart.

The following user(s) said Thank You: gilbert, Gjauto, just Chad, aboudi.naddaf

More
6 years 6 months ago #13803 by Gjauto
Replied by Gjauto on topic Is truth relative?
If there was absolute truth, what would happen if a human could realize it?

Not just believing a truth is there, but if God let you find and comprehend the truth that He knows. I think that persons reality would shift dramatically.

Not to be equal or more than God, but to be one with the absolute truth of God. Is the next human evolution going to be some weird, spiritual enlightenment that propels our consciousness to everlasting heaven?

Sounds about right to me.

51 "Behold! I tell you a mystery. We shall not all sleep, but we shall all be changed, 52 in a moment, in the twinkling of an eye, at the last trumpet. For the trumpet will sound, and the dead will be raised imperishable, and we shall be changed. 53 For this perishable body must put on the imperishable, and this mortal body must put on immortality."

Corinthians 15:51-53

More
6 years 6 months ago #13810 by Olmer
Replied by Olmer on topic Is truth relative?
Jesus said He was the truth, to say you cant somehow know truth is basically saying you cant know Jesus, I know that might be a little hard to understand but if you do not believe its possible to find truth you will never be able to find who God is.

No one in their right mind would be able to not say that it is true when you put your hand in the fire its going to burn it. Anyone who says you cant know for sure that it will burn when they put their hand in the fire would automatically be challenged by those who know about the truth of putting your hand in the fire it will be burnt. My challenge to whoever says there is no way of knowing truth I challenge them to put their bare hand in the fire and let me know if it is true or not that their hand will burn, we all know that in the end the truth would win and they would have to confess that the truth is your hand will be burnt when put in the fire. Its the same way with the truth about God, if you put to practice what the bible says about truth you will find that the the bible is true and the Word of God. Seriously put your hand in the fire before you say the bible is not true, honestly I have not met one person who can say its false that truly put to test the truth of the bible, Im one of them, I read the bible to prove to my cousin that she was wrong about the truth in the bible only to find I was wrong and had to humble myself before God and believe in His son Jesus Christ, and therefore you will know the truth, for Jesus said He was the truth

For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believes in him should not perish, but have everlasting life. John 3:16

Im blessed to serve a mighty God who forgives me with nothing but the grace He has given me by His son Jesus Christ
The following user(s) said Thank You: ScannerDanner, aboudi.naddaf

More
6 years 6 months ago #14126 by ScannerDanner
@Olmer
Amen! Thanks for posting my brother

More
6 years 6 months ago #14339 by AMHSIN
Replied by AMHSIN on topic Is truth relative?
Here is a question for those who believe that truth is relative ... is their belief that "truth is relative" relative or absolute? certainly if they believed that it was relative they wouldn't argue for it, that would be pointless ... so they believe, probably unconsciously, that there is a least one truth that is not relative ... their own belief ... this one example is enough to undermine their whole belief system ...

(excuse my English, its not my native language)

More
6 years 6 months ago #14345 by Olmer
Replied by Olmer on topic Is truth relative?
Here is a question for those who believe that truth is relative ... is their belief that "truth is relative" relative or absolute? certainly if they believed that it was relative they wouldn't argue for it, that would be pointless ... so they believe, probably unconsciously, that there is a least one truth that is not relative ... their own belief ... this one example is enough to undermine their whole belief system ...

Yes this is true, you cant make that statement bc there is no such thing as truth if you beleive truth is relative

For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believes in him should not perish, but have everlasting life. John 3:16

Im blessed to serve a mighty God who forgives me with nothing but the grace He has given me by His son Jesus Christ
The following user(s) said Thank You: ScannerDanner, aboudi.naddaf

More
6 years 6 months ago #14349 by ScannerDanner

AMHSIN wrote: Here is a question for those who believe that truth is relative ... is their belief that "truth is relative" relative or absolute? certainly if they believed that it was relative they wouldn't argue for it, that would be pointless ... so they believe, probably unconsciously, that there is a least one truth that is not relative ... their own belief ... this one example is enough to undermine their whole belief system ...

Your English was perfect and thank you for the comment! Perfect

The following user(s) said Thank You: AMHSIN, aboudi.naddaf

More
6 years 5 months ago #15312 by johnathon.balderas
I have been enlightened in the word of God by reading this thread.

More
6 years 5 months ago #15519 by ScannerDanner

johnathon.balderas wrote: I have been enlightened in the word of God by reading this thread.

John 6:35 New King James Version (NKJV)
And Jesus said to them, “I am the bread of life. He who comes to Me shall never hunger, and he who believes in Me shall never thirst.

• chiefeaglebear
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
6 years 5 months ago #15560 by chiefeaglebear
Replied by chiefeaglebear on topic Is truth relative?
interesting view on truth my truth is I am gonna be judged someday and that is who I fear I think absolute truths modern or not are outside us and we are hopelessly deceived a lot of the time unless we have the right person guiding us his name is the lord jesus Christ and there is no richousness inside me apart from him and him alone period forever and ever that will be everyones truth

More
6 years 5 months ago #15567 by ScannerDanner

chiefeaglebear wrote: interesting view on truth my truth is I am gonna be judged someday and that is who I fear I think absolute truths modern or not are outside us and we are hopelessly deceived a lot of the time unless we have the right person guiding us his name is the lord jesus Christ and there is no richousness inside me apart from him and him alone period forever and ever that will be everyones truth

It is outside of ourselves but not outside of us knowing what it is. It comes from the bible. God's written and revealed word.

More
6 years 5 months ago #15665 by just Chad
Replied by just Chad on topic Is truth relative?
A good illustration of absolute truth is: Waters wet . Is water wet even when in an altered state such as steam or ice or liquid it's easy to test. The interesting thing about truth truth loves questions because truth can be proven. There something else that is easy to prove, Jehovah God is the rewarder of those who earnestly seek. Notice the emphasis is on earnestly seek.

Regardless of doctrine or personal belief or creed if you earnestly seek Jehovah God he will make himself known, consequently this is also the first and greatest command and the one most often broke. What do you imagine what happened people began to earnestly seek a loving living God? It would probably empower them to do the second command properly which is love your neighbor as yourself.

If the first statement is true "Jehovah God is the rewarder of those who earnestly seek him" Then this is what you should expect you will become more peaceful patient kind joyful and full of self-control.

In truth Jesus didn't come to give you a religion. He came so that you might have a relationship with his father which hopefully for you will become a pearl of great price!

Time to create page: 0.246 seconds