Voltage and Amprage

More
2 years 8 months ago #50042 by Moses Brown
HI , Moses Brown here. I am reviewing my electrical basics as thought in Lincoln Tech 2003,18 years ago wow. I never really understood it just followed the rules.
As I am reviewing the basic elect concepts and understanding why you check for wire integrity and how, I bought myself a whiteboard to write the concepts so I can understand it,
I have a question, that if current/amps leaving the battery is going through the resister/load/bulb getting and back to the battery through the negative wire/cable how come that the battery gets drained as it replenishes itself? if you are saying that you are not losing amps only voltage why are we charging the system with amperage through the alternator? please explain this, as i know this is still basics but..........
If you don't UNDERSTAND it you don't KNOW it if you don't know it you should not Do it.
I don't know if i will get an e mail when I get a response.
Please respond or send me to a place where its well explained.
Thank
Moses Brown
Monroe NY

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
2 years 8 months ago - 2 years 8 months ago #50060 by juergen.scholl
Replied by juergen.scholl on topic Voltage and Amprage
A charged battery means there is difference in potential. Difference in potential, simplified, means there are more electrons on one side (neg. post) than on the other side (pos. post).

When this difference in potential - voltage - is used to do some work the electrons flow from the side of abundance to the side with lack of electrons. Without recharging, at one point there is no difference in potencial, aka voltage, anymore between the two posts, electrons balance out and current flow stops.

The alternator now "imbalances" the charge distribution so there will be more electrons again on one side than on the other.

This is a simplified scheme, just to get the basic idea. In reality the "imbalancing" done by the alternator is a complex chemical process but I hope this short description may have shed some light on it.

An expert is someone who knows each time more on each time less, until he finally knows absolutely everything about absolutely nothing.
Last edit: 2 years 8 months ago by juergen.scholl.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Chad

More
2 years 8 months ago #50094 by Moses Brown
Replied by Moses Brown on topic Voltage and Amprage
Thanks for the effort to reply , but it is too short for this new concept.

More
2 years 8 months ago - 2 years 8 months ago #50097 by juergen.scholl
Replied by juergen.scholl on topic Voltage and Amprage

Thanks for the effort to reply , but it is too short for this new concept.

Moses, the video should help you out....

The  pdf below elaborates as well on the principles of charging systems.

www.metroplexalternator.com/uploads/1/5/...ng_system_theory.pdf

An expert is someone who knows each time more on each time less, until he finally knows absolutely everything about absolutely nothing.
Last edit: 2 years 8 months ago by juergen.scholl.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Chad

• Noah
  • Give code definitions with numbers!
More
2 years 8 months ago #50103 by Noah
Replied by Noah on topic Voltage and Amprage
You need to remember that, as Juergen pointed out, the voltage we measure between positive and negative represents the potential to flow electrons from one end of a circuit to the other.
Put a device between positive and negative, and the electrons flow from one side of the battery to the other. Once they have all flowed, the potential is lost, not self replenished.
The resistance of the device we choose to power determines the amperage. When we measure amps, we are measuring the flow of the electrons.
My favorite analogy is to think of the battery as an air tank.
When it is full, say 100psi, we have the potential to flow air. Be it to fill a tire, run an impact gun etc.
What we choose to run off that compressed air will determine how quickly the tank will empty.
A very small air brush will consume less of the stored air than an angle grinder. This power consumption can be thought of as amperage.
Once the "tank" is empty of the potential to do work, it must be "recharged".
Filling the tank is like charging the battery. It takes volts to replenish the battery, and the charge rate is measured in amps.
It takes pressure to fill the tank, but we can measure the flow into the tank if so desired as well.
I hope that makes sense.

"Ground cannot be checked with a 10mm socket"

More
2 years 6 months ago #50973 by Teamwork
Replied by Teamwork on topic Voltage and Amprage
Hi. I spent a long time trying to get my head around what electricity actually is. I didn't have much success until I read this book.
Radio Shack, DC Circuits, Volume 1. That book cleared up everything for me. It's written for beginners. The first two chapters covers the basics of what electricity is. If you read those first two chapters it should answer all your questions. It's an old book so you should find a copy for a few dollars.

Here's some good videos too. Good luck

vimeo.com/showcase/5607661/video/292444241
vimeo.com/showcase/5607661/video/292488182
vimeo.com/showcase/5607661/video/292428099
vimeo.com/showcase/5607661/video/292433944
vimeo.com/showcase/5607661/video/292442178
Attachments:

More
2 years 6 months ago #50974 by Moses Brown
Thanks for your info,
That book is about $750 on amazon:(:(

More
2 years 6 months ago #50977 by Teamwork
That must be a typo. There's a copy for $12.49

www.thriftbooks.com/w/dc-circuits-vol-1-...233308&idiq=36738961

More
2 years 6 months ago - 2 years 6 months ago #50978 by Andy.MacFadyen
Replied by Andy.MacFadyen on topic Voltage and Amprage
The water tank in the loft of a house is  good way to think of a battery, but another good way is to think of it as a compressed air tank they both store energy
Pump the the air tank up to 150 psi and use an air tool and air flows through the hose to the motor of the tool and the pressure (same as voltage in a battery ) goes down.    Use a small tool and pressure goes down slowly because less air is leaving the tank use a big impact wrench and more air leaves the tank so the pressure goes down much quickly.
Once the  air tank is empty it needs pumped back up by the compressor, same as re-charging a battery.

" We're trying to plug a hole in the universe, what are you doing ?. "
(Walter Bishop Fringe TV show)

Last edit: 2 years 6 months ago by Andy.MacFadyen.

More
2 years 6 months ago - 2 years 6 months ago #50979 by Moses Brown
Thanks Just ordered.
I am reading any book about basic electricity. as I saw in my 20 years of mechanical experience that if you don't know your basics as you know you color of your hair you don't understand it and you know it and if you dont know it then don't do it , it is not easy to know the basics very well only and only if you review it and burn it in your bones over and over to get it o know even in the middle of the sleep! i think you will agree with me ,
Last edit: 2 years 6 months ago by Moses Brown.

More
2 years 6 months ago #50982 by Teamwork
I agree with you. It doesn't matter what you're doing, a good knowledge of the basics is the most important thing. And a good book is worth it's weight in gold. I bought the Scannerdanner book recently. It's fantastic.

Time to create page: 0.229 seconds