Audi S5 FSI (GDI System) Low Power/Misfire

More
7 years 2 months ago #6501 by ecwurban
Heh, this video reminded me of my girlfriend. She apologizes for everything then I make her say sorry for saying she's sorry :P

I know you're all about not being a parts changer, and by all means just huckin parts is bad, but this call on the low fuel pressure sensor was not a bad call. You have such a cool environment at the school where you can spend time on the vehicles. But in a retail shop where all labor, repair and diagnostic, is billed out then it's a different situation.

I would 100% make that call in a retail shop. It fits so many characteristics of this vehicle. The super lean fuel trims, the complete lack of power, how positively the vehicle responded to propane, runs way better with a resistor, the tech notes on the Verus and the fact that fuel rail pressure sensors are prone to fail by under reporting pressure. Add on the fact that circuit integrity checked out, you have no high side codes, each bank has its own high side system yet the problem seems to be affecting the entire engine uniformly and it's a cheap part that's super easy to change.

If you're calling those high pressure pumps then of course you need to go crazy making sure you're as close to 100% on your call as possible. But in a retail shop the labor to gain access to the low side pump, splice in your gauge and compare to scandata would be pretty much the same as changing that sensor. This is where having good counter staff is crucial. It would need to be explained that the next most cost effective step at that point would be to change the sensor. There's a good probability it's the fix and if it's not then you're still spending money on diagnosing that you would have spent otherwise. That's just the nature of trying to diagnose some of these systems that are getting ever more complicated. Don't forget it was at the dealership for 45 days!

We all love you for being the way you are. Honesty and humility are the cornerstone of integrity. But this is one of those times where you're being too hard on yourself :P And whenever a car is giving you a hard time just think of all the people you've helped and all the countless frustrations you'll have saved us. Your work is world class and does not go unappreciated. B)

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
7 years 2 months ago #6618 by ScannerDanner
Thanks so much! This was a good one and really had me going for a few.
Part 2 will have the conclusion and also I've included what we did wrong in part 1. It will be up soon.
These are the ones you learn from the most for sure.
But I really appreciate your kind words and support on this one. Thank you again

Don't be a parts changer!

More
7 years 1 month ago #6829 by ecwurban
Anytime. We gotta look out for one another in this business of automotive diagnostics!

Time to create page: 0.622 seconds