2005 Chrysler Town & Country 3.8 Switch Input Identification

More
3 years 9 months ago #41382 by Mechanic 350
My driver side window wasn't working. The FIX was that the wire in the connector was loosed. But here is my question. In accordance to the book, in switch input identification, I followed the wire that didn't go to the computer and it went to a ground. Externally grounded, internally sourced, tells me that the window switch for this vehicle is a pull down switch input. And also, according to the wiring diagram. But when I went to do my identification at the door switch, when I closed the switch, I have high volts. Meaning .2 or .3 of a volt. And that was for both wires in the circuit. So I had 2 signal wires. Can that be correct?

I'm including the wiring diagram I used. I had a little trouble identifying the correct signal wire because when I closed the switch, both wires were switching voltages. meaning, It showed me a pull up switch input. any help. thanks.
Attachments:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
3 years 9 months ago - 3 years 9 months ago #41385 by Chad
Someone will correct me if I am wrong but, when it comes to lnputs and Outputs, we are, generally, speaking about Modules (computers).

Signal wires are Inputs. Control wires are Outputs.
Signals are Pull-up, or Pull-Down.
Controls are Ground-side, or Power-side switched.

I followed the wire that didn't go to the computer

None of the wires go to a computer. The switch is manually controlled.

In the case of your window switch, it is a Reverse Polarity switch. Which, I guess, means that it is Power AND Ground Side switched.

"Knowledge is a weapon. Arm yourself, well, before going to do battle."
"Understanding a question is half an answer."

I have learned more by being wrong, than I have by being right. :-)
Last edit: 3 years 9 months ago by Chad.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Mechanic 350

More
3 years 8 months ago #41749 by Hardtopdr2
Actually its a 3 position/pole switch and it is a ground side switched circuit.

Meaning:
middle position is off
Foward position is making current flow one way through the motor (this case we will say window up) and flows to ground through the other contact on switch
Rear position is making current flow the opposite direction through the motor (this case we will say window down) and flows to ground through opposite end of switch.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Chad

Time to create page: 0.198 seconds