Battery Testing 1-13

More
4 years 1 month ago #37285 by Tutti57
Battery Testing 1-13 was created by Tutti57
I'm looking at the battery testing section on page 13 in section one and am wondering how a shorted battery would cause too much AC voltage in the system?

Can someone help me understand this?

Thanks!

Nissan Technician
The following user(s) said Thank You: aboudi.naddaf

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
4 years 1 month ago - 4 years 1 month ago #37308 by Andy.MacFadyen
Replied by Andy.MacFadyen on topic Battery Testing 1-13
I haven't got access to my book untill later but thinking about it the way I would look at it is consider the current rather than the the voltage.
An alternator is a 3 phase AC generator that is rectified so there is always going to be some AC ripple. Taking a 120 amp car or truck alternator as an example, with a good fully charged battery and low electrical loads off it might be kicking out less than 20 amps to meet the loads and maintain the battery. If the alternator produces 1% ripple then the ripple will be 0.2 amps.
Now if the alternator is at full field struggling to charge a bad battery and meet electrical loads it will be putting out say 120 amps and the ripple will be 1.2 amp and if we put a multimeter set to AC Volts on the output we will see this as an as an x6 increse in ripple voltage,

In addition a good battery with low internal ressistance will smooth the voltage and current because it is better at providing current/voltage to fill in the dips in the alternator ripple.

" We're trying to plug a hole in the universe, what are you doing ?. "
(Walter Bishop Fringe TV show)

Last edit: 4 years 1 month ago by Andy.MacFadyen.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Noah, Tutti57, aboudi.naddaf

More
4 years 1 month ago #37310 by Tutti57
Replied by Tutti57 on topic Re:Battery Testing 1-13
Ok, I see what you mean. Thanks!

Nissan Technician
The following user(s) said Thank You: aboudi.naddaf

Time to create page: 0.193 seconds