Dodge Pickup No Speedometer Operation (VR Testing)

• Noah
  • Noah's Avatar Topic Author
  • Give code definitions with numbers!
More
7 years 4 months ago #4501 by Noah

Good video here! I like the way Paul took the time to explain the voltage measurements and go over the circuit at home like he would do in a classroom lecture. A lot of topics covered, and some SWEARS?! :pinch: Sometimes half the battle is finding the right name to call it :P
At least the PP4 made for a good ground lead during the diagnosis! I use mine as a scope/meter ground all the time.
I really don't trust the voltage reading on mine for anything other than source voltage most of the time. It's much better suited for measuring output circuits IMO. I didn't realize that the tool was placing a small load on the circuit, good info there too.
(BTW: You could see more definition if you use the Waveform Viewer in the Vantage. Down to 10ms.)

"Ground cannot be checked with a 10mm socket"

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
7 years 4 months ago #4520 by Ro-longo
I liked the fact that he included the frustrations and colorful language. I get that way too when things go that way, I think it has to do with the fact that I have been turning wrenches for so long.

I understand that he is trying to show alternative tools in diagnosis but me personally I would start off with the scope

"Silver bullets are for killing Werewolves, not fixing Cars." -Rob Longoria-

More
7 years 4 months ago #4524 by Andy.MacFadyen
I really was surprised how poor the PP4 performed, from internet search it seems the PP4 is far from an ideal as a voltmeter as the input resistance is only 350K ohm. A half decent multimeter will have 10M ohm input resistance on the voltage scales.

" We're trying to plug a hole in the universe, what are you doing ?. "
(Walter Bishop Fringe TV show)

More
7 years 4 months ago #4877 by ScannerDanner
I agree, I was surprised at the result of this test. It definitely shows the weaknesses of this tool in troubleshooting low voltage circuits.

Don't be a parts changer!

Time to create page: 0.194 seconds