Ebook Basics questions

More
4 years 9 months ago #31268 by Jspivey
Hello All,

This may sound moronic since the book is for students and newbies like myself. Which parts of the book is aimed the basics. Is it possible to diag a vehicle without the fancy parts of a scan tool? I've watched a few videos where diag was performed with a multimeter and a test light probe. In the videos it was performed on the fuel delivery system. Would this methodolgy work on other systems of a vehicle?

Is this type of diags included in the premium section of the site?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Noah
  • Give code definitions with numbers!
More
4 years 9 months ago #31274 by Noah
Replied by Noah on topic Ebook Basics questions
There's really a good mix of procedures these can be performed with a test light and basic meter, and tests where you'll need a scope.

The latest Premium video he diagnosed a charging issue with a test light and then with a scope.
If you're uncertain I suggest taking the free trial of Scanner Danner Premium for 14 days. There you'll see what's included in the book and the tests he teaches his students then you can decide if it's worth the investment for you.
I would recommend starting with universal testing methods, ch.1
There's some great multimeter training and basic electrical concepts to get you started.

"Ground cannot be checked with a 10mm socket"
The following user(s) said Thank You: Jspivey

More
4 years 9 months ago #31282 by Jspivey
Replied by Jspivey on topic Ebook Basics questions
I subscribed to the premium service before you replied. . Looks like i will be spending a lot of time in with the basic electronics section and chapter 1. I didnt correlate the basic electronics video section to whats in the book.

Any ideas on how to test these in the real world without a steady flow of malfunctioning vehicles?

• Noah
  • Give code definitions with numbers!
More
4 years 9 months ago #31288 by Noah
Replied by Noah on topic Ebook Basics questions
I built circuits on my bench top to get a grasp on it.

12v battery, some nuts and bolts and wires and light bulbs. I'd build the circuits into a rubber floor mat and move my meter around the circuit to see how the readings would change. Add and remove things from the circuit, etc.

By the time I got to real world cars, I at least head some hands on training with the meter. It doesn't really "click" until you work through a few real problems. Up until that point it's all still theory bouncing around in your head. Once you apply it a few times, the lessons really sink in. At least that is how it was for me.

"Ground cannot be checked with a 10mm socket"

More
4 years 9 months ago #31296 by Crombie
Replied by Crombie on topic Ebook Basics questions
That's cool Noah, I had very little clue of automotive electrics until the theory and video's of Scanner Danner started making sense in testing, I read a very good book, and then after that Pauls theory and video's helped, then the book also made sense. Then I bought the Scanner Danner book, and that is very wide range of material, and extremely helpful. Now not much puts me off wiring wise, I still have to train up on Relay circuit testing, knowing circuit design..using a test light fully correctly, I tend to grab the multimeter most times, but obviously its not a fast enough capture sometimes

Time to create page: 0.181 seconds