Chapter 3- Transistor Drivers and Output Solenoids

More
5 years 4 months ago - 5 years 4 months ago #25052 by Mechanic 350
page 3-10, what does Paul mean by driver? sorry for the stupid question. Is that the same as the transistor in the pcm?

How do you check the resistance of a solenoid coil? In the topic, "Power side Switched Circuit Problems", Paul suggests to check the resistance
of the solenoid coil. And I was just wondering how's that done? Thank you.

Faulty PCM Driver? help me to understand this. thanks.
Last edit: 5 years 4 months ago by Mechanic 350.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
5 years 4 months ago #25057 by Mechanic 350
Andy, can you explain the driver circuit in another form. I didn't quite get that explanation. thanks buddy.

More
5 years 4 months ago #25062 by Andy.MacFadyen
The engine computer or any other smart module works on really tiny currents, but the solenoid coils in fuel injectors or relays work work on pretty large currents that would burn out normal computer circuits. The computer driver amplifies the currents and voltage up to a level that can work real physical things like relays and fuel injector using a special heavy duty transistor called a power transistor to switch the output.
A power transistor switch is really just a solid state relay , a tiny current applied to one terminal acts like switch to turn on a much higher current straight through the transistor.
Although power transistor are pretty tough they can still burn out if they get over loaded by a short or voltage spike.

" We're trying to plug a hole in the universe, what are you doing ?. "
(Walter Bishop Fringe TV show)

The following user(s) said Thank You: Noah, Tutti57

More
5 years 4 months ago #25063 by Mechanic 350
Thanks Andy for that. Much better. You the man thanks again
The following user(s) said Thank You: Noah

Time to create page: 0.199 seconds