It"is a question to chapter 2 "Switch Inputs"

More
5 years 5 months ago #24664 by Boris
Good time of the day Paul!I have a question to the video"1996 Ford F-150 No Start with ScannerDanner-ErickTheCarGuy".In one of you videos (pg 24-30) you explained how the hall effect sensor ground side switch type works and you said that this sensor is switched to ground when the window in the reluctant ring is open(the magnetic field opens the transistor and the circuit is opened to ground).But on the video with this Ford it is plainly to see, that the spark occures when you close the window with a piece of metal.It contradicts to your earlier explanation. The question is how though the hall effect sensor on this Ford works? P.s. I faild to find how to ask question on the forum and that"s why I ask here. Would be very thankful for you answer.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
5 years 5 months ago #24670 by Chad
The signal Paul is manipulating is not the signal that controls the coil. The PIP signal goes from the Distributor to the ICM. The ICM, then, controls the coil.

"Knowledge is a weapon. Arm yourself, well, before going to do battle."
"Understanding a question is half an answer."

I have learned more by being wrong, than I have by being right. :-)
Attachments:
The following user(s) said Thank You: ScannerDanner, Noah, Dylan, Tyler

More
5 years 5 months ago #24684 by Boris
Thank you sir for you answer, but unfortunately it doesn"t answer my question. For my question to be more clear I dare to ask you in a different way-"What exactly happens when Paul is putting a Subaru ignitor into the new connected hall effect sensor?
(Is the signal being high, interrupted or is it created, is it a pull down or a pull up kind of signal?)

More
5 years 5 months ago #24688 by Chad
Copy and pasted from Alldata:

OPERATION
How the Profile Ignition Signal (PIP) Is Generated
- The Camshaft (Hall effect) sensor is a digital output device located within the distributor. A rotary vane cup is used to trigger the hall sensor. When the window of the cup is in the air gap between the hall device and the permanent magnet, a magnetic flux field is completed from the magnet through the hall device and back to the magnet.

- This condition results in a low (0 volts) output signal. As the distributor shaft turns, a tooth on the cup will move into the air gap. The magnetic field will be shunted by the tooth, preventing it from reaching the Hall device, and the output signal will change from a low to a high (B+).

"Knowledge is a weapon. Arm yourself, well, before going to do battle."
"Understanding a question is half an answer."

I have learned more by being wrong, than I have by being right. :-)

More
5 years 5 months ago #24708 by Boris
That is exactly, what remains still unclear to me-when Paul put a piece of metal into the air gap, the signal must change from low to high, but it is not the case on the video! Paul himself told, that it was a ground side switched circuit and proved that by grounding the signal at the ignitor making a spark. And the question is how it could occur with Paul creating a high signal (instead of low) by closing the air gap?

More
5 years 4 months ago #24983 by ScannerDanner
I think I answered this elsewhere yes? If so can you copy and paste my reply here. I know I talked to you about this.

Don't be a parts changer!

Time to create page: 0.254 seconds