02 F150 4.2L misfire, lean condition

• Noah
  • Noah's Avatar Topic Author
  • Give code definitions with numbers!
More
7 years 6 months ago - 7 years 6 months ago #2357 by Noah

First of all, if you haven't watched the 2 part series yet, this post is going to spill the beans for you. So if you like going along with Paul and trying to figure out the problem like I do, read no further until you check out both parts.

I really enjoyed this case study. Production quality was top notch, the over lays made viewing the data during troubleshooting very easy, and I especially enjoyed the commentary Paul added during editing as he noticed new events in the data stream.

It also goes to show how priceless that injector timer tool can be! I doubt there was another test that could have pin pointed 2 restricted injectors. Although in hindsight, I'd be curious to see if a current ramp or voltage waveform would have shown any anomalies.
Then after a proper diagnosis, still having a lean condition on the opposite bank was a bit of a twist. All the evidence was there to support a vacuum leak, but it just wouldn't show itself. Perseverance payed off in the end, I think it shows how important it is to trust your methods. I know a lot of guys who would have gotten tunnel vision after the second smoke test showed nothing and start throwing parts at it. Maybe replacing all the injectors even though the evidence wasn't there to support it.
He sure earned his diagnostic fee on this one! I like watching him run in the shop, do one or two tests, and make a quick buck. But I think it's important and helpful for techs of all skill levels to see how someone can gather the evidence, and think through a problem like this, without getting bogged down in the unknowns and the other problems that kept popping up. (Like the fowled plugs and disconnected vacuum lines).

"Ground cannot be checked with a 10mm socket"
Last edit: 7 years 6 months ago by Noah. Reason: Spelling

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
7 years 6 months ago #2359 by matt.white
Totally agree Noah. I appreciate that Paul posts more than just the videos that go exactly to plan.

And although I've been left a little disappointed in the past by otc tools I agree, that injector timer is amazingly invaluable for such a simple tool.

More
7 years 6 months ago - 7 years 6 months ago #2360 by Andy.MacFadyen
A collection of difficult to pin down faults that made me do a lot of thinking --- quite subtle faults that added up to a major misfire but as we know real world neglected vehicles tend to have an accumulation of problems. A lot of owners don't really car as long as it starts and many wouldn't even notice an engine running with dead cylinder.

" We're trying to plug a hole in the universe, what are you doing ?. "
(Walter Bishop Fringe TV show)

Last edit: 7 years 6 months ago by Andy.MacFadyen.

• Noah
  • Noah's Avatar Topic Author
  • Give code definitions with numbers!
More
7 years 6 months ago #2362 by Noah

Andy.MacFadyen wrote: A collection of difficult to pin down faults that made me do a lot of thinking --- quite sublte faults that added up to a major misfire but as we know real world neglected vehicles tend to have an accumulation of problems. A lot of owners don't really car as long as it starts and many wouldn't even notice an engine running with dead cylinder.

Very true. It's like the curse of the mechanic to feel every little bump and clunk, hiccough and stutter, while others literally drive the wheels off and say it failed without warning.

"Ground cannot be checked with a 10mm socket"

More
7 years 6 months ago #2363 by Tyler

Andy.MacFadyen wrote: A collection of difficult to pin down faults that made me do a lot of thinking --- quite subtle faults that added up to a major misfire but as we know real world neglected vehicles tend to have an accumulation of problems. A lot of owners don't really car as long as it starts and many wouldn't even notice an engine running with dead cylinder.

Truth right here. I think this is one of the hardest things to teach to rookie technicians - how to distinguish between one problem or multiple failures, AND how to stay focused when repairs go wrong. Not just in engine diagnostics, but in all aspects of auto repair.

More
7 years 6 months ago #2454 by super.032208
I was in the same boat with a jeep v8 what i learn from SD is check the current 2 of these injectors were bad

More
7 years 6 months ago #2470 by ScannerDanner
Thank you guys so much. And nice write up Noah!
I'll be honest with you guys, I've been holding onto this one because I never liked the final part. To finish off with a negative 10 on one bank and a positive 8 on the other did not sit well with me. I may be able to get this truck back again, not sure. The owner is a loyal Latorre's Auto customer and is definitely still driving it without returning. Trust me, I would be the first to know.
Anyway, I uploaded the series knowing that the struggles are just as valuable as the fix sometimes. It looks like everyone agrees so far.
My main areas of concern with this truck:
- does it have the beginnings of a head gasket problem? (causes neg. fuel trim numbers from contamination of the O2)
- is the engine burning oil? (again, negative fuel trim numbers)
- is there a spray pattern issue with the other injectors that the balance test didn't reveal?

Some suggestions were to use the WPS500 on the fuel rail. Guys, I have to be honest with you, this testing method has way to many variables. Sometimes it is even hard to pick out a completely restricted injector. Granted, I've never done the test with the fuel pump not running as some suggest. This would eliminate the pump pressure variations.

Thank you all again for helping me make this possible!

Don't be a parts changer!

More
7 years 6 months ago #2491 by Andy.MacFadyen
A head gasket issue might have shown up as differences in the deposits on the spark plugs.

" We're trying to plug a hole in the universe, what are you doing ?. "
(Walter Bishop Fringe TV show)

Time to create page: 0.281 seconds