just a comment about the Honda Civic EVAP Leak P1457 (no visible smoke) video

More
5 years 11 months ago #20784 by jaivs26
i just want to make a comment about the honda civic EVAP leak video!

is very important to take closer look at the trouble codes because honda has specific evap codes to help troubleshoot the proble.. the p1457 says (EVAP canister area) and p1456 is a (fuel tank area) when you have a p1457 usually is in EVAP two way valve or the EVAP bypass solenoid valve and you will never see it with the smoke because the leak inside of the canister area..
a least in my experience..

and the other comment i have is the universal filler neck adapter that comes in the smoke machine works pretty good! you just have seat it well, sometimes it takes a couple of times to get it right.

does anyone know the brand and part number of the filler neck adapter he used instead?
The following user(s) said Thank You: Noah

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Noah
  • Give code definitions with numbers!
More
5 years 11 months ago #20794 by Noah
He said it was Blue Point, so it is or was sold by snap on. We have the sticky one at the shop, I've used it a couple times with success, but it if I recall it wasn't exactly inexpensive...

"Ground cannot be checked with a 10mm socket"

More
5 years 11 months ago - 5 years 11 months ago #20795 by ferris48
The blue thingy?

It's called a Fuel Tank Filler Neck made by Blue-Point. Snap-on sells them here: store.snapon.com/Diagnostic-Smoke-Machines-C681746.aspx
Last edit: 5 years 11 months ago by ferris48.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Noah, jaivs26

More
5 years 11 months ago #20796 by ScannerDanner
thank you, in hind sight this knowledge would have helped, in general though I do not need to research an EVAP system to find a leak (i never have)

Don't be a parts changer!

More
5 years 11 months ago #20797 by ScannerDanner
I found the bluepoint equivalent on Amazon and put it on my page. It is made by OTC
www.amazon.com/shop/scannerdanner

Don't be a parts changer!
The following user(s) said Thank You: jaivs26

More
5 years 11 months ago #20804 by jaivs26
you right sometimes is not necessary to make a research for a leak .. but one time i came a crossed this problem and when i when to the snap on troubleshooter i found that and weeks later i went to a class for EVAP system and the instructor said the same thing..
that's why i said it as a comment for the community.
thanks for the links
The following user(s) said Thank You: Noah

More
5 years 11 months ago #20953 by ecwurban
Man I loved this video! Partly because I also hate Evap leaks and the other part on how it's so easy to over look the obvious. It seems so stupid but until I saw this video I wouldn't have thought to use soapy water to check for minor Evap leaks. Even just saying that sentence aloud sounds stupidly obvious. You use soapy water for checking all other manner of leaks... why not Evap leaks??? I can't wait to try that out! I totally would have just kept on trying to look for smoke until I threw my light across the room! :cheer:

The main thing I hate about Evap leaks is it's something that's so simple in theory but can be such a pain in practice. Like with my car. 2001 Hyundai Santa Fe 2.7L V6 with a P0442 Small Leak. I went to smoke it after work but only had 40 minutes to check it over and it was miserable. It has no service port, I didn't have bi-directional control of the vent valve on my Verus, the whole canister/vent valve assembly is buried between the rear driveshaft and the body held up by some rusty cage that hasn't been off in 20 years and I had the other tires still in the back so I couldn't get to the pump access easily... :angry: I didn't see any smoke any whichever step I took next would involve a half hour of re&re just to gain access... Time I didn't have! Totally leaves you feeling deflated...

Though I did just read an article where the guy was talking about how he'd use his 5 gas analyzer to detect HCs when pinpointing exhaust leaks where you can't see the smoke. I thought that was a cool idea and definitely want to try that out. It's a lot more sensitive than your eyes and nose...

Anyways, as always, keep up the great work!
The following user(s) said Thank You: Dylan

Time to create page: 0.267 seconds