Section 1: Universal Testing Methods p14 secondary

• Noah
  • Noah's Avatar Topic Author
  • Give code definitions with numbers!
More
7 years 8 months ago #1052 by Noah
On page 14 of the e-book section one. Figure 4, examples of secondary waveforms.
The very last pattern, right next to the one labeled "no fuel misfire" in the bottom right corner.
Whats going on there????

"Ground cannot be checked with a 10mm socket"

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
7 years 8 months ago #1056 by Tyler
I always figured that as a failed injector, electrically or mechanically. Saw a very similar waveform recently on a Chevy 5.7L with a stuck closed injector.

More
7 years 8 months ago #1131 by ScannerDanner

Tyler wrote: I always figured that as a failed injector, electrically or mechanically. Saw a very similar waveform recently on a Chevy 5.7L with a stuck closed injector.

I am ashamed that I do not remember that particular one. it is a waveform from the early 2000s
but it was exactly as Tyler described.
Sorry Noah

Don't be a parts changer!

• Noah
  • Noah's Avatar Topic Author
  • Give code definitions with numbers!
More
7 years 8 months ago #1133 by Noah
That's cool, not a problem man! Have you heard the theory about secondary waveforms that says if you draw an imaginary vertical line right in the middle of the spark line, that any oddities on the left side of that line indicate a problem exterior to the combustion chamber (shorted/open plug wires), and that anything to the right of that line indicates a problem occurring inside the combustion chamber (lean mixture, etc)?

Seems to hold up pretty well to the examples in the book. I'm not exactly a secondary ignition guru though :)

"Ground cannot be checked with a 10mm socket"

More
7 years 8 months ago #1158 by ScannerDanner

Noah wrote: That's cool, not a problem man! Have you heard the theory about secondary waveforms that says if you draw an imaginary vertical line right in the middle of the spark line, that any oddities on the left side of that line indicate a problem exterior to the combustion chamber (shorted/open plug wires), and that anything to the right of that line indicates a problem occurring inside the combustion chamber (lean mixture, etc)?

Seems to hold up pretty well to the examples in the book. I'm not exactly a secondary ignition guru though :)

I haven't and that is a great tip to explore! Thanks Noah

Don't be a parts changer!

Time to create page: 0.298 seconds