Re Video; Nissan Pickup Low Power, will not stay running (With James Danner)

More
6 years 10 months ago #10774 by Bashar Londontech-UK
I would like to comment on the above subject/ Video, which is a very interesting one as the symptoms is exactly identical to a low fuel supply (In that Nissan it was a faulty Mass Air Flow Sensor); My Comment is thru the following attachment:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
6 years 10 months ago #10817 by Dylan
Hey Bashar! I'll post the video here. Sorry but I can't see your attachment :unsure:

More
6 years 10 months ago #10826 by Bashar Londontech-UK

File Attachment:

File Name: NissanPick...nHow.pdf
File Size:30 KB

Hi
I hope the file can be opened and read in its pdf format. This is an attempt to scientifically explain the unexpected cause behind the symptom in that Nissan pickup.
Bashar
Attachments:

• Noah
  • Give code definitions with numbers!
More
6 years 10 months ago #10833 by Noah
Well written Bashar, thank you for taking the time to share your experience and hypothesis. I like the analogy of a cranking "masked mode" or as you also said, the PCM has it's "eyes closed during cranking".
It's something I've come to learn and accept that a good deal of inputs (and there for the scan data that correlates) are ignored during cranking, but you've articulated that much better than I could have.

The other thing to consider is that many manufacturers will go into a fail safe mode, or run in a predetermined fuel cell when a critical input like the MAF is missing. Some others do not.

I could drive my Lincoln to work with the MAF in the front seat if I wanted to.
My friends Subaru however would likely not make it to the corner store without much effort were he to try the same.

"Ground cannot be checked with a 10mm socket"

More
6 years 10 months ago #10855 by Tyler
Nice writeup, Bashar! This part caught my attention:

suspecting the engine might be immobilised, I have connected a scope to one injector to monitor
the command voltage while spaying past the MAF.

We had a member post a very similar issue recently , and I'm afraid we all got fooled into thinking about an anti-theft issue. :blush:

In the case of that thread, I think the incandescent test light actually got us in trouble. There probably WAS injector pulse width going on, but the test light was too 'slow' to pick it up. You caught onto the shortened pulse width right away by scoping the injector primary.

Time to create page: 0.213 seconds