Help us help you. By posting the year, make, model and engine near the beginning of your help request, followed by the symptoms (no start, high idle, misfire etc.) Along with any prevalent Diagnostic Trouble Codes, aka DTCs, other forum members will be able to help you get to a solution more quickly and easily!

2005 Ranger Fuel trim problem

More
7 years 1 month ago #8657 by mred3
I have a 2005 ford ranger with a 4.0 SOHC engine that is fresh rebuild it has about 7500 miles on it.
The engine runs good my problem that’s really bugging me are the trim levels, warmed up at idle both STFT are at 0% =/- 1% , the LTFT is at around 4-5% =/- 1% when I take off at a normal pace the LTFT raises to 9-10% on both banks and staying there all the time until I let of the gas with the STFT staying close to 0% sometimes climbing to 2% or so but quickly correcting to 0% or close. If I really do a hard acceleration the LTFT goes up to 14-15% range until I let off with the STFT staying still close to 0-2%.
No DTC’s at all
MAF numbers are good.
O2 sensors are working correctly
Fuel pressure is @ 55-60 psi
EGR is at 0% at idle coming on to 35% at normal driving speeds
I’m starting to think maybe the wrong injectors were sold to me?

Any help in this matter would be appreciated.

Thanks
Ed

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
7 years 4 weeks ago #8679 by Mike N
Have a few Questions. You said your MAF numbers are good but I'm finding myself needing those numbers for the direction, "at idle" and is the baro reading good with your elevation?
Have you performed a VE test?
Also what was the cause of the last engine failure cause and what was replaced with the engine besides the injectors?
Is the air intake stock or aftermarket cold air/K&N?
What was the reason for new injectors?
One test I would also suggest is pinch off the both sides of the crank case vent system for one test drive and reset your KAM and recheck your numbers and see if the issue changes, I ask this only because this is still a young life on a fresh rebuild. You should also be able to help identify this possible issue of engine not completely seated with a manual vacuum gauge plumb into the intake, I only say this as I had one perform like this and it wasn't till 15k we started seeing those numbers come to normal.

Can a Corn

More
7 years 4 weeks ago #8691 by mred3
Replied by mred3 on topic 2005 Ranger Fuel trim problem
Performed VE test came up with 59 low.

More
7 years 4 weeks ago #8695 by Hash Cash
mred3, Since your fuel trims seem to rise at higher rpm/load, you have to suspect a fuel delivery problem or possibly a clogged cat. Is the fuel pressure you measured at idle, or do you have a way to measure it at load? In my experience, unfortunately, when an engine fails, quite often the cat and other components have also failed. BTW make sure you change the fuel filter. Hash Cash

More
7 years 4 weeks ago - 7 years 4 weeks ago #8697 by mred3
Replied by mred3 on topic 2005 Ranger Fuel trim problem
Old engine tuliped a intake valve on #1 decided since the engine had to be pulled time to put in rebuild @ 200k
the engine has K&N filter and tube.
new EGR valve, PVC, MAF, 02 sensors
Has new CAT's I'll get some more readings later today.

THanX
Last edit: 7 years 4 weeks ago by mred3.

More
7 years 4 weeks ago - 7 years 4 weeks ago #8699 by Andy.MacFadyen
K&N filter and intake raises alarms --- MAF engines are very sensitive to the intake arangements.

ISTR Ivan motoYam has a video on an F150 Runs Rough, Lean

" We're trying to plug a hole in the universe, what are you doing ?. "
(Walter Bishop Fringe TV show)

Last edit: 7 years 4 weeks ago by Andy.MacFadyen.

Time to create page: 0.205 seconds