Help us help you. By posting the year, make, model and engine near the beginning of your help request, followed by the symptoms (no start, high idle, misfire etc.) Along with any prevalent Diagnostic Trouble Codes, aka DTCs, other forum members will be able to help you get to a solution more quickly and easily!

96 zj crank no start

More
1 year 11 months ago #56614 by Kman68
96 zj crank no start was created by Kman68
96 Jeep Grand Cherokee LE 4x4 5.2L
Had classic intermittent no start. FP running constant no gauges but when gauges would kick on it could start with a pump of the pedal. Replaced CPS then it wouldn’t even start with gauges(when they worked). Thought bad replacement. Tested CKP 5v ref 5v signal and had ground. So I sent PCM in & tested bad. Bought remanufactured PCM installed it and it fixed the gauges and fuel pump running but didn’t start. 1st thought not OEM part but Mopar no longer sales parts for my 96. Too crash course scannerdanner course via YouTube. Testing CPS I have 5v ref 5v signal (5.2v on both) and did ground test with multimeter also g to batt pos to back probed on DC this time plugged in. Paul says that key on ground should be 100ma or less. Mine .3-.4 and while cranking as he also said will be cranking but mine was 3-4 volts(not ma) while cranking. But couldn’t find what too much voltage meant in any of the videos only where it should be. Any suggestions? Also it’s no spark to coil and fuses are good ASD good. I need to know what I’m missing or forgetting to get this Jeep started. Any help would be super appreciated. Disabled grandfather and haven’t seen grandkids for a while. Thanks ahead of time

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
1 year 11 months ago #56616 by Kman68
Replied by Kman68 on topic 96 zj crank no start
Also CEL does work. 3 seconds then off at cranking. But is not staying on to indicate an issue. No Obd2 but did self check for codes. Only got battery code (12) and end code (55)

More
1 year 10 months ago #56628 by Kman68
Also CEL does work. 3 seconds then off at cranking. But is not staying on to indicate an issue. No Obd2 but did self check for codes. Only got battery code (12) and end code (55)

More
1 year 10 months ago #56629 by Kman68
Also thinking about reinstalling oem that I took out. Is there a way to bench test the ckp?

More
1 year 10 months ago #56630 by Kman68
Ok getting a 42 code now? Maybe something is unplugged

More
1 year 10 months ago #56631 by oic5555
Replied by oic5555 on topic 96 zj crank no start
Hi Kman68,

Our local library offers access to Chilton Library and was able to find some info on the CKP and CMP including testing procedures for the DTC 12 and 55 that you mention. Have attached the info that was available. Please reference attached

You might check your local library to see if they offer similar.

Hope this helps!

More
1 year 10 months ago #56641 by Kman68
Thanks but I already have all that information. My situation is a little more technical than that. All codes are battery disconnected and end codes

Time to create page: 0.185 seconds