Help us help you. By posting the year, make, model and engine near the beginning of your help request, followed by the symptoms (no start, high idle, misfire etc.) Along with any prevalent Diagnostic Trouble Codes, aka DTCs, other forum members will be able to help you get to a solution more quickly and easily!

Input on my first primary ignition waveform?

More
2 years 1 week ago #56016 by bjørn.ali.stokman
Hello!

Honda civic
B16a2

File Attachment:

File Name: 20220430-0002.psdata
File Size:99 KB

A couple of days ago i finally got myself a 2204a from pico.
I have been trying to experiment with it and capturing some waveforms.

I am using my own car, and to my knowledge it is a known good.
I have to admit i have SOME intermittent missfires, but more like a fluke than anything else.

But with that in mind, does anyone have any input on this primary ignition waveform?
it could simply be disturbance or whatever, just looking for some input.

Parts cannon first, then diag.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
2 years 1 week ago #56083 by ksat22
I'm no expert on this, but that looks normal to me. That area you highlighted I believe is called "the nose," which occurs right after the burn time. It indicates the point at which everything in the air/fuel mix has been completely burned.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Paul P.

More
2 years 1 week ago #56102 by VegasJAK
Can't say I'm in love with them, but overall not bad. You do have misfiring IMO. Waveform 1 shows some turbulence at the end just before the nose. Waveform2 has no nose which can mean a leaking injector and no spark. I noticed several no nose images in the 50. Dripping injectors can cause this and the ECM to pull fuel away and cause lean misfires in other cylinders as shown in waveform3. Waveform4 looks good. Not an expert in ignition waves as well but I have been studying them for some time. Tyler is pretty good at waveforms, maybe he will post in... I always like getting spanked by him B) :) Thank you for letting me opine.

"an open mind let's knowledge flow in and wisdom flow out for a man who has neither never listens to those who have both".
Being wrong doesn't bother me, it's being right and not understanding why that does
Attachments:

More
2 years 1 week ago - 2 years 1 week ago #56122 by Paul P.
I looked at all of the 50 sparks that were in the .psdatafile you attached.

Every single spark is normal firing, there are no lean misfires or any other misfires for that matter.

This scope will have a difficult time collecting a parade of sparks on a 1-second screen, you can try but the sample rate must be maxxed.

The sample rate was set too low( 1 MS would be good on a fast screen), so those sparks with no nose are a sample rate issue.

Turbulence, there is none. All these sparks are at idle by the looks of things.

If you want to see turbulence, rev that engine up! You'll see a saw-tooth burn line for sure.

The thing about analyzing these sparks is to do it Comparatively against all the other cyclinders.

In doing this you'll compare burn time, the KV's all in one big picture. The bad one will stick out like a sore thumb.

Learn what good looks like first.

Here's a great little book, it's Mac's old Spark Bible.

drive.google.com/file/d/1wIbSpsoTrk-CtIL...WTE/view?usp=sharing

Sparky trails......

Here is some more good learning resources:

Mac

and Jim Morton

These two fellas are the Godfather's of Secondary Spark Analysis.

Never stop Learning.
Last edit: 2 years 1 week ago by Paul P.. Reason: added content
The following user(s) said Thank You: VegasJAK, bjørn.ali.stokman

More
2 years 4 days ago #56216 by bjørn.ali.stokman
Thank you for all the valuable input!

I will be sure to check out the book and the videos!

I did some more captures today.

Im having trouble getting good waveforms i feel, but practice makes perfect!

Parts cannon first, then diag.
Attachments:

Time to create page: 0.545 seconds