Help us help you. By posting the year, make, model and engine near the beginning of your help request, followed by the symptoms (no start, high idle, misfire etc.) Along with any prevalent Diagnostic Trouble Codes, aka DTCs, other forum members will be able to help you get to a solution more quickly and easily!

[Fixed] Recurring p0401 1997 toyota rav4

More
2 years 2 weeks ago #55956 by johnathon.balderas
I'm pulling my hair out trying to figure this out. I've confirmed vacuum source while cruising at the egr valve, which confirms proper operation of the solenoid and the back pressure transducer. I've pulled a vacuum at the egr valve while idling and the engine stalls confirming operation of the egr. I'm not sure what I'm missing or what the ecm is looking for that sets this code. Any help is appreciated
Attachments:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
2 years 2 weeks ago #55958 by Matt T
Take a look at freeze frame. Yotas will pop P040x codes just off of idle. Don't have to be cruising. Attached are a couple articles that might help.
Attachments:
The following user(s) said Thank You: juergen.scholl, jreardon, VegasJAK

More
2 years 2 weeks ago - 2 years 2 weeks ago #55959 by VegasJAK

Part of the message is hidden for the guests. Please log in or register to see it.

"an open mind let's knowledge flow in and wisdom flow out for a man who has neither never listens to those who have both".
Being wrong doesn't bother me, it's being right and not understanding why that does
Last edit: 2 years 2 weeks ago by VegasJAK.

More
2 years 2 weeks ago #55964 by johnathon.balderas
Ok a little back story I purchased this truck 3 years ago, it had the same code back then. I tested everything and determined the vsv to be faulty so I replaced it with an oem part. Code didn't come back it passed smog life is good until 2 months later. So I just left it like that for 2 years. So back in January I decided to test everything again and came to the conclusion that the driver in the ECM for the vsv wasn't functioning. So I chucked a used one at it to no avail. Well turns out my understanding of the circuit operation was incorrect. This is a normally open solenoid that is closed when activated. So when the egr needs to open the ECM removes the ground from the vsv thus allowing vacuum to be applied to the egr valve. So with this information I was still at square one. Lol so I checked everything multiple times even removed the egr to check the passages. Nothing was a miss or so I thought. Now when I said I applied vacuum to the egr I was using my mouth as my hand pump doesn't work properly. Well I decided to buy a new hand pump and voila I still could not pull a vacuum on the egr. Sure enough there is a hole in the diaphragm. The egr only worked when I sucked on it (no homo). So yeah I figured it out thank goodness this was my own vehicle. Sorry for the word vomit.

More
2 years 2 weeks ago #55965 by johnathon.balderas
Thank you everyone for your help by the way.

More
2 years 2 weeks ago #55973 by VegasJAK
Johnathon,
Great to hear the problem is fixed... You asked what the ECM was looking for to set the code. Your RAV has an EGR temp sensor that monitors hot gas temps from the exhaust as it passes through the EGR. Thermistor sensor, 1 to 5 volts. It was reading high voltage, cold temp, so it flagged the code.

"an open mind let's knowledge flow in and wisdom flow out for a man who has neither never listens to those who have both".
Being wrong doesn't bother me, it's being right and not understanding why that does

More
2 years 2 weeks ago #55978 by johnathon.balderas
I haven't found any temp sensor and it's not on the wiring diagram.

More
2 years 2 weeks ago #55980 by VegasJAK
well that's because RAV's don't have one...silly Toyota, the signal to activate the VSV comes from the MAP sensor. Increase in pressure due to the EGR opening and allowing exhaust in...

Time to create page: 0.250 seconds