Help us help you. By posting the year, make, model and engine near the beginning of your help request, followed by the symptoms (no start, high idle, misfire etc.) Along with any prevalent Diagnostic Trouble Codes, aka DTCs, other forum members will be able to help you get to a solution more quickly and easily!

ac noise 2008 chevy trail blazer 4.2l engine

More
7 years 9 months ago #823 by autojoe
when turn ac on the ac clutch engages and makes a chirp noise when clutch engages..........chirp only lasts a second then while driving the ac clutch disengages and then when the clutch engages again it chirps every time.someone said replace belt and tensioner.could it be the ac clutch itself?I don't mind changing the belt and tensioner for a total of 80 dollars if that will fix my problem.any ideas would be appreciated.thanks joe

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
7 years 9 months ago #824 by Tyler
Hey autojoe! Welcome to the forums!

The AC clutch itself can absolutely cause a chirping noise like you described, due to the parts of the clutch itself slipping as it engages. Does the belt make noise under any other conditions? Like, steering lock-to-lock, or under high electrical load? Replacing the belt and tensioner is good maintenance if the belt is worn out, but probably won't fix your issue if you don't get noises under other conditions.

Before replacing the clutch (or compressor), I'd want to get voltage readings at the clutch during engagement to check for voltage drops. I'd also want to know that the system itself is performing well, specifically looking for excessive high side pressures causing abnormal load on the clutch.

More
7 years 9 months ago #825 by autojoe
thanks for reply......ac pressures are fine low and high side.no chirp noise at any other time except when ac clutch engages.can clutch be replaced with compressor on truck?

More
7 years 9 months ago #831 by Tyler
Not sure, sir, never done that job on a Trailblazer before. I remember things getting pretty tight around the compressor, but it may still be possible!

Time to create page: 0.214 seconds