Help us help you. By posting the year, make, model and engine near the beginning of your help request, followed by the symptoms (no start, high idle, misfire etc.) Along with any prevalent Diagnostic Trouble Codes, aka DTCs, other forum members will be able to help you get to a solution more quickly and easily!

Should engine be at temperature before doing VANOS reset/relearn?

More
2 years 1 month ago #55648 by JeffBirt
I'm sure this is a silly question but as I only have access to Mitchell DIY and can't seem to find it covered there I thought I would ask. I have a 2011 Mini Countryman S with N18 engine. I recently replaced the exhaust side VANOS solenoid and did the reset/relearn procedures. I was guessing that the engine should be up to operating temperature before the reset/relearn but could not find a reference to say one way or the other.

Thanks for any insight you can provide.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
2 years 4 weeks ago #55687 by JeffBirt
Someone was able to tell me that their SnapOn scanner service info says the engine should be at least 60C before the reset/relearn.

More
2 years 4 weeks ago #55690 by VegasJAK
No question should go unanswered. Thank you Jeff for the info..

ps; I had to Google VANOS, my farfegnugen is terrible. That one got me.:blink:

"an open mind let's knowledge flow in and wisdom flow out for a man who has neither never listens to those who have both".
Being wrong doesn't bother me, it's being right and not understanding why that does

More
2 years 1 week ago #56006 by JeffBirt
As it happens I had the need to do the CAM limits relearn with the engine cold yesterday. I was testing a software update for this functionality for the scan tool manufacturer two days ago and it did not go as planned.

They quickly fixed the software glitch and I did a relearn with the engine cold. It started OK but seemed to run ever so slightly lumpy. After driving a few miles to get the engine up to about 80C I did the relearn again and all was well. Started it from cold this morning and it drove perfectly.

Just FWIW in case anyone else gets into a similar situation.
The following user(s) said Thank You: juergen.scholl

More
2 years 1 week ago #56008 by juergen.scholl

ps; I had to Google VANOS, my farfegnugen is terrible.:blink:

Don't worry, one day, with the right car it will turn into ein kleines bisschen Fahrvergnügen :lol:

An expert is someone who knows each time more on each time less, until he finally knows absolutely everything about absolutely nothing.

Time to create page: 0.189 seconds