Help us help you. By posting the year, make, model and engine near the beginning of your help request, followed by the symptoms (no start, high idle, misfire etc.) Along with any prevalent Diagnostic Trouble Codes, aka DTCs, other forum members will be able to help you get to a solution more quickly and easily!

1992 Corolla diagnosis

More
2 years 1 month ago #55291 by robert.whitman
I am trying to diagnose my son's 1992 Corolla. It starts and idles fine but sputters and/or does when given throttle. If given throttle extremely slow will rev up fine. I have found that I have 12 volts at both the reference and signal side of the tps leads. No cel. I have checked for unwanted continuity on these leads by unplugging at the ecu and tps. No continuity from one lead to the other so I am assuming no short. I am suspecting the ecu itself is faulty but want some input before replacing. Any ideas or input on this problem is greatly appreciated.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
2 years 1 month ago #55295 by VegasJAK
Replied by VegasJAK on topic 1992 Corolla diagnosis
Hmmm. 12v on ref and sig wires of TPS. Is the TPS a 3 wire sensor? Toyota uses 5v for ref. Check the ECT sensor. Does it have 12v as well? Back probe the TPS sig wire. Use multimeter on DCv. Red lead to sig, black to bat neg. KOEO should have low voltage, .4 to .9 closed throttle. Rotate throttle slowly to full open. Should be smooth increase in voltage. If 5v system should have 4.5 at open throttle. I read about a Toyota with 12v ref on TPS awhile back. Have to research.

"an open mind let's knowledge flow in and wisdom flow out for a man who has neither never listens to those who have both".
Being wrong doesn't bother me, it's being right and not understanding why that does

More
2 years 1 month ago #55297 by robert.whitman
Ect sensor??? I am unfamiliar with this. What is it? I back probed all three wires at the tps koeo the blue and green both show 12v and the barn one is ground I think.please let me know what you find.

More
2 years 1 month ago - 2 years 1 month ago #55298 by VegasJAK
Sorry for the confusion. ECT, engine coolant temperature sensor.
Do the TPS movement test. Do you get smooth increase in voltage?
The ground wire should have about .100mv

"an open mind let's knowledge flow in and wisdom flow out for a man who has neither never listens to those who have both".
Being wrong doesn't bother me, it's being right and not understanding why that does
Last edit: 2 years 1 month ago by VegasJAK.

More
2 years 1 month ago #55299 by robert.whitman
I looked it up. Ect. Engine coolant temp sensor. I will check voltage tomorrow.

More
2 years 1 month ago #55300 by robert.whitman
No change with movement. Steady 12v at both leads

More
2 years 1 month ago #55301 by robert.whitman
One should be 4.5 to 5v and the other should be 0 to5v depending on throttle position I think. But with both leads showing 12v back probed or unplugged from the tps I suspect the ecu. Any ideas??

More
2 years 1 month ago #55306 by robert.whitman
Does anyone know what might be causing the tps circuit to have 12v at the reference wire and signal wire koeo or running and sensor connected or unplugged?

More
2 years 1 month ago #55307 by robert.whitman
Yes 12v at ect

More
2 years 1 month ago #55308 by robert.whitman
Correction 4.5 at coolant sensor unshure of what the other connecter was that show 12v.

More
2 years 1 month ago - 2 years 1 month ago #55309 by VegasJAK
What is the voltage reading on the brown ground wire of the TPS? Plugged in and unplugged.

More
2 years 1 month ago #55310 by robert.whitman
Both unplugged and plugged in reads 0v koeo

More
2 years 1 month ago #55311 by VegasJAK
Use a test light attached to battery positive. Touch brown ground wire. Does test light light?

More
2 years 1 month ago - 2 years 1 month ago #55312 by jreardon
Replied by jreardon on topic 1992 Corolla diagnosis
www.scannerdanner.com/scannerdanner-prem...ntiometers-5-9-13-14

It's a TP switch, not a TP sensor.
Paul explains that once you're off idle, the computer see 0 volts turns to 12 volts (pull down switch input) and computer injects fuel like an accelerator pump in a carbureted engine to prevent tip in hesitation. Your reading of 12 , 0 and 12 volts means the computer thinks it's in part throttle and you don't get the extra shot of fuel.

This part's from identifix:

1. At the throttle position sensor, check the voltage on the Blue idle contact input. There should be 5 or 12 volts present with the key on throttle position sensor disconnected. With the sensor plugged in and the engine at idle, there should be 0 volts on the Blue wire. When the throttle is opened slightly, the voltage should jump to either 5 or 12 depending on the reference voltage value.

Last edit: 2 years 1 month ago by jreardon.

More
More
2 years 1 month ago #55315 by robert.whitman
Good info... I will check it out after work and let you know. Thanks.

More
2 years 1 month ago #55320 by robert.whitman
So I tested the blue wire like it said. Check out ok. Did exactly what it was supposed to do. So now I am back to square one... Any ideas?

More
2 years 1 month ago #55321 by robert.whitman
Also seems to be using slot of gas while I am testing things out.

More
2 years 1 month ago - 2 years 1 month ago #55323 by robert.whitman
What voltage should the green wire have?
Any other ideas that would cause the car to start and idle fine but sputters and or dies when try to open throttle?
Last edit: 2 years 1 month ago by robert.whitman. Reason: Misspelling

More
2 years 1 month ago - 2 years 1 month ago #55338 by VegasJAK
Does the condition occur all the time? cold or hot?
As J points out this is a switch system. Should have 12v on both blue and green wires however, in the idle position, blue wire (idle circuit) should have 0v with throttle plate closed.
Is the engine 1.6l?
Just below the throttle plate linkage is there a vacuum line attached to the throttle body?

Time to create page: 0.308 seconds