Help us help you. By posting the year, make, model and engine near the beginning of your help request, followed by the symptoms (no start, high idle, misfire etc.) Along with any prevalent Diagnostic Trouble Codes, aka DTCs, other forum members will be able to help you get to a solution more quickly and easily!

2005 Ram 1500 four-wheel drive growl

More
2 years 1 month ago - 2 years 1 month ago #55046 by jerry r
Growling in four wheel drive, Wheels binding while turning in four wheel drive , grow gets louder during deceleration and, it pops out of two wheel drive from four wheel drive high.
Last edit: 2 years 1 month ago by jerry r.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Noah
  • Give code definitions with numbers!
More
2 years 1 month ago #55063 by Noah
Hey Jerry,
To find various growls and howls I like to run the vehicle in the air on a lift. I realize that isn't an option for everyone.
To be clear, the drive line will bind in 4x4 mode on a surface that doesn't permit slipping, like dry pavement. That is a normal characteristic of four wheel drive vehicles.
Some common failure points to inspect on that particular truck in my experience are the yolk on the front differential. Look for excessive oil leakage where the front driveshaft bolts to the front differential. That could be an indication of a worn pinion/pinion bearing and the source of a growl.
Also, where the front axle shafts mate to the front differential. There is a splined male output shaft on each end that the axle shafts slip into. Look for rusty orange powdered residue. It is common for the splines to rust and wear away. Usually the output shaft stubs can be replaced, along with the axle shaft if needed.

"Ground cannot be checked with a 10mm socket"

More
2 years 1 month ago #55065 by jerry r
It's binding on gravel

More
2 years 1 month ago - 2 years 1 month ago #55066 by jerry r
It's binding straight to the point it won't roll
Last edit: 2 years 1 month ago by jerry r.

• Noah
  • Give code definitions with numbers!
More
2 years 1 month ago #55082 by Noah
Aside from the other checks I suggested, I would also make sure all the tires are the same size and similarly worn, so not a baldy on one end and a nice newish one on an other.
If the tires are all the same circumference, the front and rear differentials aren't exhibiting signs of excessive leakage or wear, (and obviously are of the same gear ratio) then I would suspect the transfer case.
Again, if you could drive it safely in the air in 4x4 mode you could probably zero in on the source of the growl.

"Ground cannot be checked with a 10mm socket"

Time to create page: 0.219 seconds