Help us help you. By posting the year, make, model and engine near the beginning of your help request, followed by the symptoms (no start, high idle, misfire etc.) Along with any prevalent Diagnostic Trouble Codes, aka DTCs, other forum members will be able to help you get to a solution more quickly and easily!

03 Mitsubishi Galant long crank when cold

More
2 years 2 months ago #54881 by Mitsufan84
Hello all!
I am having some issues with my car. I have been out of the automotive field for years so im quite rusty. I have an 03 Galant with the 2.4L engine. I just moved back to Florida from Maryland and i was loaning my brother this car since his got wrecked. The car has been sitting for about 8-9 months. Complaint he has was that the car would turn over but not start. When I got it to work on it, I also noted it would not start but after inspecting found the top half of the cam position sensor was snapped off. I replaced said sensor and attempted to start. Car would still not start. Car would now start and idle perfectly but give it any throttle above 1000 rpms and it bogged down and would die. I cleaned the mass airflow sensor and now it takes several attemps usually 3 to 5 times of cranking stopping and cranking. Eventually it will start and run and rev to the moon and back. I have tested the fuel presure. Key on no pressure but crank it and instantly goes to 40 psi as its cranking over but still wont start. Got the scantool out. Every sensor reads normal on this car: baro iat map coolant ect you name it! After I got it to run last time I checked vacuum which shows around 15-20 HG at idle. I pulled off the vacuum line going to the fpr and fuel pressure goes up to 50 or so and comes back down when reconnected. I pulled the egr to see if it was stuck open and it wasnt. Looks very good inside no build up at all. Checked fuel trims. Short term runs between -2 to +2 at idle. Using an old scantool when cranking over I show engine rpms from the crank A sensor (about 230 but I am getting readings) crank signal is showing as on i am showing fuel injector pulse rate ignition shows 5 btdc which is normal as well. I did notice I do not hear the fuel pump or see pressure at key on, but do when im cranking it over. I performed and evap leak test with the scanner and it passed (checking stuck open purge valve). I pulled the timing covers and checked timing marks and the marks are a-okay. I did go ahead and clean the egr valve while I had it off..just some slight amounts of oil in it. Running out of ideas and working myself into a frenzy. As far as codes, not a single code. Any tips or items im looking over that I could check would be most excellent.

Thanks!!

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
2 years 2 months ago #54898 by John Clark
It sounds like a fuel issue. I'm not sure about the key on fuel pump prime but on cars that have been sitting you have to wonder about the fuel itself. 40 psi seems a little low. Can you access the fuel pump on this car without removing the tank? If so, maybe pull it out and take a look down inside the tank.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Time to create page: 0.201 seconds