Help us help you. By posting the year, make, model and engine near the beginning of your help request, followed by the symptoms (no start, high idle, misfire etc.) Along with any prevalent Diagnostic Trouble Codes, aka DTCs, other forum members will be able to help you get to a solution more quickly and easily!

Evap vent valve question

More
7 years 1 month ago #8199 by ecwurban
The evap vent vale is a normally open valve. So applying voltage causes it to close. It allows fresh air to enter the canister. I'm all good with that. My question is what prevents fuel vapors from exiting the canister through the vent valve and into the atmosphere? It's supposed to have fresh air go in but if it's normally open and the vehicle is off then hydrocarbons should be able to go out causing an evap leak..? Or does it have some kind of one way check valve in it? Can this be a source of an evap leak when the solenoid portion works perfectly fine?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
7 years 1 month ago #8200 by borntoroll
Replied by borntoroll on topic Evap vent valve question
Solenoid working doesn't mean it seals. I believe charcoal doesn't let HC and fumes escape.

More
7 years 1 month ago - 7 years 1 month ago #8204 by ecwurban
Replied by ecwurban on topic Evap vent valve question

borntoroll wrote: Solenoid working doesn't mean it seals.

Oh ya, I know about that. Just wondering if it has anything built into it to prevent HCs from exiting it. If it did that would have to be separate from the solenoid portion of the valve as it's normally open.

I wondered if the canister relied solely on the carbon capturing and holding all the HCs as its means of preventing them from going out the vent. Just seems like it would be putting a lot of faith in that for how much these systems are regulated by law. Plus whenever someone overfilled their tank up to the filler neck that would saturate the canister which should cause venting of HCs...

I can't really seem to find anything definitive on the web. :huh: Maybe next time we pull one out I'll rip it apart and take a look see.
Last edit: 7 years 1 month ago by ecwurban.

More
7 years 1 month ago #8212 by Tyler
Replied by Tyler on topic Evap vent valve question

ecwurban wrote: I wondered if the canister relied solely on the carbon capturing and holding all the HCs as its means of preventing them from going out the vent.

This has always been my understanding, but it never really satisfied me. :unsure: Seemed silly to go to all this trouble for EVAP systems and leave the vent valve open 90% of the time. :silly:

Maybe I was misinformed? If anyone has a better answer, I'm ready to hear it. :lol:

More
7 years 1 month ago #8232 by Ben
Replied by Ben on topic Re:Evap vent valve question
vent is open at least 90% of the time the fuel tank has to be able to vent. the charcoal canister is solely responsible for filtering the fuel vapor , I wouldn't say this means it does it 100% but that is the way it's designed to work . On a side note I wonder what a 5 gas would say at the vent valve while adding air to test port (obviously very low pressure)

Sent from my SM-N920P using Tapatalk

More
7 years 1 month ago #8239 by Tyler
Replied by Tyler on topic Re:Evap vent valve question

Ben wrote: On a side note I wonder what a 5 gas would say at the vent valve while adding air to test port (obviously very low pressure)

Oooooh, that's a good idea. :ohmy: Like, 1 PSI, right? Maybe just hook up the smoke machine. :huh:

• Noah
  • Give code definitions with numbers!
More
7 years 1 month ago - 7 years 1 month ago #8244 by Noah
Replied by Noah on topic Re:Evap vent valve question
I bet it would read a LOT of Hc's.
I read something a while ago that said the charcoal in an automotive charcoal cannister is adsorbant (yes with a D).
Basically, if memory serves, this property is desirable because it allows the charcoal to not only capture Hc's (hydrocarbons) but to also release them when the purge valve is opened. I would think that pressurizing the system would have the same effect on the charcoal in the cannister, and the Hc's would be released through the vent.

Side story;
I've been filling my Navigator at the junkyard for YEARS with a syphon hose and 5 gallon buckets. There's no automatic shut off, so when it's gurgling out the filler neck, you're full.
Well, I had to stop at a gas station and actually BUY GASOLINE! :angry: WITH MONEY! :sick: NOT so much to my surprise, the pump kept shutting down on me during refueling.... :whistle:

"Ground cannot be checked with a 10mm socket"
Last edit: 7 years 1 month ago by Noah.

More
7 years 1 month ago #8248 by Tyler

Noah wrote: I bet it would read a LOT of Hc's.
I read something a while ago that said the charcoal in an automotive charcoal cannister is adsorbant (yes with a D).
Basically, if memory serves, this property is desirable because it allows the charcoal to not only capture Hc's (hydrocarbons) but to also release them when the purge valve is opened. I would think that pressurizing the system would have the same effect on the charcoal in the cannister, and the Hc's would be released through the vent.

:whistle:

Side story;
I've been filling my Navigator at the junkyard for YEARS with a syphon hose and 5 gallon buckets. There's no automatic shut off, so when it's gurgling out the filler neck, you're full.
Well, I had to stop at a gas station and actually BUY GASOLINE! :angry: WITH MONEY! :sick: NOT so much to my surprise, the pump kept shutting down on my during refueling.... :whistle:

:lol: :lol: :lol: I actually have the same problem with the Scion. I think the previous owner brimmed it one too many times? Anyway, I'm too cheap to replace the canister, so I've gotten REALLY good at shooting the gas into the filler neck on the car. The pump can't kick off if it doesn't know there's a problem. B)
Attachments:

• Noah
More
7 years 1 month ago - 7 years 1 month ago #8251 by Noah

Anyway, I'm too cheap to replace the canister, so I've gotten REALLY good at shooting the gas into the filler neck on the car. The pump can't kick off if it doesn't know there's a problem.

Attachments:
Last edit: 7 years 1 month ago by Noah. Reason: Didn't realize we were going to Tarrentino this thing

More
7 years 1 month ago #8256 by ecwurban
We actually just took apart a canister on a vehicle that couldn't fill up at a gas station without the pump shutting off constantly. All the pellets had completely solidified together into this brick. If it were my vehicle and I couldn't get one at the local salvage yard I'd be tempted to partially gut it out :P

Noah wrote: I've been filling my Navigator at the junkyard for YEARS with a syphon hose and 5 gallon buckets.

Hard to turn down free gas but that can be risky! We have a buddy that works at a metal recycling plant here that used to do that until he put in some nasty gas that killed his truck. Towed it to our shop and it had zero compression. It had washed the cylinders so bad that it took us a day and a half to resurrect that thing!

• Noah
More
7 years 1 month ago #8260 by Noah

ecwurban wrote: We actually just took apart a canister on a vehicle that couldn't fill up at a gas station without the pump shutting off constantly. All the pellets had completely solidified together into this brick. If it were my vehicle and I couldn't get one at the local salvage yard I'd be tempted to partially gut it out :P

Noah wrote: I've been filling my Navigator at the junkyard for YEARS with a syphon hose and 5 gallon buckets.

Hard to turn down free gas but that can be risky! We have a buddy that works at a metal recycling plant here that used to do that until he put in some nasty gas that killed his truck. Towed it to our shop and it had zero compression. It had washed the cylinders so bad that it took us a day and a half to resurrect that thing!

You have to know what you're looking at. I could make ​a whole thread about how to grade recycled gasoline by eye.
I only run the primo stuff. Once it's got that turpentine stink, it's no good.
You can tell a lot by the color and clarity, you can get a good idea of water content just by the weight of the tank...

More
7 years 1 month ago #8267 by Tyler

Noah wrote: You have to know what you're looking at. I could make ​a whole thread about how to grade recycled gasoline by eye.
I only run the primo stuff. Once it's got that turpentine stink, it's no good.
You can tell a lot by the color and clarity, you can get a good idea of water content just by the weight of the tank...

I would read the crap out of that thread. :ohmy:

Time to create page: 0.231 seconds