Help us help you. By posting the year, make, model and engine near the beginning of your help request, followed by the symptoms (no start, high idle, misfire etc.) Along with any prevalent Diagnostic Trouble Codes, aka DTCs, other forum members will be able to help you get to a solution more quickly and easily!

2004 Toyota 4Runner 4.0 Running Lean

More
2 years 2 months ago #54653 by fixn_junk
This thing is running way lean. At idle long term trims on both banks are running at 29.64 and short term around 5 on bank 1 and around 8 on bank 2. At 2000 rpm the short term trims go to around 0 with the long term just beginning to come down. At 3000 rpm the short term trims go slightly negative to around -2 or so and the long term trims come down to around 22. At 4000 rpm the short term trims stay around -2, -3 and the long term trims come down to around 11. Under full power brake the short term trims go to 0 and long term to 2 or 3. Both banks stay pretty well balanced. Mass air sensor is new and seems to be functioning properly. Everything I have read suggests a vacuum leak but I cannot find one. I have smoked this thing and have found nothing. I hosed it down with brake cleaner with absolutely no change in the short term trims. It runs fine and does not seem to lack power, It responds well to a throttle snap and the trims all usually go to 0. I don't pick up any misfires on any cylinders at all. The fuel pressure holds at 42 and does not drop. I'd appreciate any thoughts on this as I am not very good at diagnosing this sort of thing yet. It's also only the second Toyota I've worked on.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
2 years 2 months ago #54659 by VegasJAK
On the day you got those readings, what was the outside temperature?

"an open mind let's knowledge flow in and wisdom flow out for a man who has neither never listens to those who have both".
Being wrong doesn't bother me, it's being right and not understanding why that does

More
2 years 2 months ago - 2 years 2 months ago #54660 by fixn_junk
About 40 F. It was in a shop at about 60 F.
Last edit: 2 years 2 months ago by fixn_junk.

More
2 years 2 months ago #54667 by VegasJAK

Everything I have read suggests a vacuum leak but I cannot find one. I have smoked this thing and have found nothing. I hosed it down with brake cleaner with absolutely no change in the short term

The brake booster is a vacuum leak source. You would have to look under the dash where the brake rod comes through the firewall. Pinch or block off the brake booster vacuum line and check trims again.

"an open mind let's knowledge flow in and wisdom flow out for a man who has neither never listens to those who have both".
Being wrong doesn't bother me, it's being right and not understanding why that does

More
2 years 2 months ago #54672 by fixn_junk
Will do. Thanks.

More
2 years 2 months ago #54673 by fixn_junk
It appears to have some type of hydra boost.

More
2 years 2 months ago #54903 by John Clark
Did you fix this? A leaking purge valve is also a possibility.

More
2 years 2 months ago #54904 by fixn_junk
I have not. Been working on some other stuff. I plan on bringing it back in early next week. I needed to take a break from it because I was out of ideas. I did plug the line to the purge valve with no change. I know I'm missing something, just can't figure out what it is.

More
2 years 2 months ago #54906 by John Clark
You said the MAF is new? Is it an OE Toyota part? If not, it's VERY suspect. So many aftermarket components like that are pure junk and don't work properly even when new. Connect your scan tool and take it out and do a wide open throttle run in first gear while looking at your O2 data. The upstream O2's should go full rich during your wide open throttle run. If you're unfamiliar with how wideband O2's (air fuel ratio sensors) work then use the downstreams as they should go full rich, as well. If they do, that means fuel delivery is fine. If you don't have a vacuum leak that really only leaves the MAF. What does it show in grams per second at idle on the scan tool?

The other thing I've seen cause issues are the O2 sensors. The downstream sensors are often providing some means of fuel control when the upstreams are wideband O2's (air/fuel ratio sensors.) I've seen faulty downstream sensors cause high fuel trims. You want to make sure you're using only NTK or Denso O2 sensors, and preferably Denso as that's what Toyota used from the factory.

More
2 years 2 months ago #54907 by fixn_junk
Thank you! The MAF is Napa Eichlin. I have seen issues with non oem sensors on some other makes but I'm new to Toyota. I will say, I saw no difference between the original sensor and the new. I will check what you have suggested and report back.

More
2 years 1 month ago #55012 by fixn_junk

You said the MAF is new? Is it an OE Toyota part? If not, it's VERY suspect. So many aftermarket components like that are pure junk and don't work properly even when new. Connect your scan tool and take it out and do a wide open throttle run in first gear while looking at your O2 data. The upstream O2's should go full rich during your wide open throttle run. If you're unfamiliar with how wideband O2's (air fuel ratio sensors) work then use the downstreams as they should go full rich, as well. If they do, that means fuel delivery is fine. If you don't have a vacuum leak that really only leaves the MAF. What does it show in grams per second at idle on the scan tool?

The other thing I've seen cause issues are the O2 sensors. The downstream sensors are often providing some means of fuel control when the upstreams are wideband O2's (air/fuel ratio sensors.) I've seen faulty downstream sensors cause high fuel trims. You want to make sure you're using only NTK or Denso O2 sensors, and preferably Denso as that's what Toyota used from the factory.

I am going to run this thing shortly. I will try to graph all of the data you suggested and will post it when completed. I am unfamiliar with wideband O2's and need to do some learning on those.

More
2 years 1 month ago #55014 by fixn_junk

I am unable to attach documents for some reason. Here is some of the data I pulled:

Key On Engine Off

Calculated Load: 0%
MAF: 0.65 g/sec
STFT B1: 0
LTFT B: 29.64
STFT B2: 0
LTFT B2: 29.64
B1S1: 3.303V
B1S1 Equivalence Ratio: 1.001 Lam
B2S1: 3.305V
B2S1 Equivalence Ratio: 1.002 Lam
B1S2: 0.035V
B1S2 Fuel Trim: 99.06
B2S2: 0.015V
B2S2 Fuel Trim: 99.06

Low Idle

Calculated Load: 12%
MAF: 3.00 g/sec
STFT B1: 3.9
LTFT B1: 29.64
STFT B2: 7.02
LTFT B2: 29.64
B1S1: 3.319V
B1S1 Equivalence Ratio: 1.008 Lam
B2S1: 3.344V
B2S1 Equivalence Ratio: 1.008 Lam
B1S2: 0.115V
B2S2: 0.075V

Wide Open Throttle 1st Gear

Calculated Load: 78%
MAF: 164.35 g/sec
STFT B1: 0
LTFT B1: 2.34
STFT B2: 0
LTFT B2: 3.90
B1S1: 4.997V
B1S1: Equivalence Ratio: 1.117 Lam
B2S1: 4.997
B2S1: Equivalence Ratio: 1.234 Lam
B1S2: 0.015V
B1S2: Fuel Trim: 99.06
B2S2: 0.00V

60 MPH

RPM: 1853
Calculated Load: 22%
MAF: 17.46 g/sec
STFT B1: -2.34
LTFT B1: 22.62
STFT B2: -1.56
LTFT B2: 23.40
B1S1: 3.308V
B1S1 Equivalence Ratio: 0.994 Lam
B2S1: 3.270V
B2S1 Equivalence Ratio: 0.998 Lam
B1S2: 0.585V
B2S2: 0.465V

I realize this isn't the ideal way to show data but as I said, it won't let me upload attachments right now and I haven't figured out how to get recorded data to a graph in Auto Enginuity.

More
2 years 1 month ago #55017 by Cheryl
Can you get us engine rpm at wot we need iat engine rpm maf g/s it looks way lean with the front O2 sensors going over 4 volts in first gear w.o.t.

More
2 years 1 month ago #55018 by fixn_junk
I don't remember exactly, but it was right around 5550.

More
2 years 1 month ago #55019 by Cheryl
Can you deadhead the fuel pump?? Pinch off a return line if it has one?

More
2 years 1 month ago #55020 by fixn_junk
It's all hard lines. It does have return. I do have an adapter I rigged up for another one with a ball valve I could put inline. What are you thinking? I'm not sure where you are going with this. Excessive return?

More
2 years 1 month ago #55021 by Cheryl
Dead head to see what your fuel pump can put out max pressure. Toyota is known for injector problems becoming restricted

More
2 years 1 month ago #55022 by Cheryl
That first gear pull you did caught my attention. All 4 O2 sensors are lean. Rears are near 0 mv fronts over 4 volts.

More
2 years 1 month ago #55024 by fixn_junk
I will try to do that tomorrow and let you know max pressure.

More
2 years 1 month ago #55025 by Cheryl
What’s fuel pressure spec?

Time to create page: 0.233 seconds