Help us help you. By posting the year, make, model and engine near the beginning of your help request, followed by the symptoms (no start, high idle, misfire etc.) Along with any prevalent Diagnostic Trouble Codes, aka DTCs, other forum members will be able to help you get to a solution more quickly and easily!

2005 Saturn Vue 3.5 intake air temp to high

More
2 years 2 months ago #54585 by Bucher
The intake air temp is higher than it should be. The temp will slowly climb while the engine is running or if the ignition key is on. The sensor is good, and I have a spare just in case. It's a basic thermistor which pulls the 5v down as the temp climbs. The voltage readings at the sensor and PCM are accurate. I have tried two different types of OBD2 software to verify that the temp is reading high. The engine starts and runs fine for about 15 minuets, but as the intake air rises, the engine will miss and ping. I tried both sensors, unplugged the sensor, and unplugged the battery for a day. But the problem remains. The temp will usually be in the 40s and climb over 100. It never throws a code for the sensor unless its unplugged.

I recently purchased this vehicle. They had replaced a plug and coil because the tip off the plug had broken. After driving it a few times the plug backed out and melted the plug and coil. I tapped the head and installed a plug insert along with a Delphi coil. It was after doing this that I noticed the intake air issue.

At this point I am leaning towards a PCM...... but I find it strange that " all of a sudden" it failed. Any help would be greatly appreciated!!

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
2 years 2 months ago #54589 by VegasJAK

temp will slowly climb while the engine is running or if the ignition key is on.

With engine cold KOEO the air intake temp rises slowly? Should read steady ambient air temp. If wiring tests good, ie 5v sig and <100mv ground has to be bad sensor.

Could have two bad sensors. Have you tried to bench test the sensors?

Only other thing I can think of is the sensor signal wire is being influenced by some other variable resistor.

"an open mind let's knowledge flow in and wisdom flow out for a man who has neither never listens to those who have both".
Being wrong doesn't bother me, it's being right and not understanding why that does

More
2 years 2 months ago #54591 by Bucher
Voltage is being measured at the ecm and the sensor. Unplugged is near 5v. Plugged in, it is around 2.7v. I can make the voltage go lower on both sensors by adding warm air near the sensor. The correct voltage is at the sensor and ecm. But the temp reading from the ecm is always going up. It tops off somewhere above 100 degrees.

If I leave the ignition off, or disconnect the battery long enough, the temp reading will go back to the 40 degree range. Note that the whole time, the voltage stays the same. So the temp reading off the cam climbs while the voltage stays the same.

More
2 years 2 months ago #54593 by juergen.scholl
You may want to connect a (variable) resistor/potentiometer in the place of the sensor and simulate different temps to confirm or discard a sensor problem.

Just to make sure: on a cold engine, koeo, the voltage reading with a dvom stays the same but the scanner shows rising temp?

With the sensor unplugged you initially probably will read around -40 degrees. Does the temperature reading rise as well with a disconnected sensor?

An expert is someone who knows each time more on each time less, until he finally knows absolutely everything about absolutely nothing.

More
2 years 2 months ago #54595 by Bucher
As I had said originally, unplugging the sensor does not change anything. The temp still continues to increase. And I have used heat cold and air to change the voltage output of the sensor. I can even jump the terminals together and yet the pcm still displaces the same reading. It will start around 40 degrees and rise the longer the ignition is on until it hits above 100 degrees.

More
2 years 2 months ago #54599 by Bucher
I backprobed both wires at the pcm and they read accurately. I can't think of any other reason for the temp reading to be wrong but the pcm is bad.

I just hate spending the money when there is no way to proove it for sure.

Time to create page: 0.196 seconds