Help us help you. By posting the year, make, model and engine near the beginning of your help request, followed by the symptoms (no start, high idle, misfire etc.) Along with any prevalent Diagnostic Trouble Codes, aka DTCs, other forum members will be able to help you get to a solution more quickly and easily!

Help with understanding Mitchell wiring diagram pinouts

More
2 years 2 months ago - 2 years 2 months ago #54527 by JeffBirt
Hi, just signed up to Mitchell DIY for information on my Mini Cooper, while the organization of the information is not great it sure beats having no information. Alldata looks nicer but their DIY service does not include BMW/Mini for some reason. Anyhow, when looking at the connector pin assignments page on Mitchell I noticed there is a column labeled 'Type' with designations such as 'A', 'E', etc. I would guess that this indicates what type of signal that is, i.e. a switched ground source, a sensor input, etc. but I can find no table that explains these codes.

I have been able to infer what some signals are, for example when testing the aux coolant pump yesterday it was obvious from the wiring diagram that there was a share +12V feed to several devices so the ground supplied by the computer must be a switched ground. For the feedback line form the pump I can't tell what sort of signal I should see there so I'm hoping that these 'type' codes will provide more information. In this case it was not important as the pump was open circuit internally and I was getting an open circuit code (and powers/grounds at the pump were good).

I did send Mitchell a question about this but thought I would ask the pros here who might use Mitchell too in case it takes an age for Mitchell to respond.

Thanks
Last edit: 2 years 2 months ago by JeffBirt.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
2 years 2 months ago - 2 years 2 months ago #54528 by jreardon
No idea so I googled "bmw type wiring a or e or m" lol.

www.bimmerforums.com/forum/showthread.ph...signal-type-question

google to the rescue :)
Last edit: 2 years 2 months ago by jreardon.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Chad

More
2 years 2 months ago #54529 by JeffBirt
Well now I feel silly. I had 'assumed' this was a Mitchell convention not a BMW one.

Thanks!

More
2 years 2 months ago #54532 by JeffBirt
Got a reply back from Mitchell, they wanted to know the VIN of the vehicle. :blink: Right up there with going to the auto parts store to get a light bulb and they ask if the car has air conditioning...

More
2 years 2 months ago #54533 by jreardon
To be honest I looked up a 2010 Mini Cooper on identifix, maybe there would be a legend in the manuals but I did nazi it.

Time to create page: 0.220 seconds