Help us help you. By posting the year, make, model and engine near the beginning of your help request, followed by the symptoms (no start, high idle, misfire etc.) Along with any prevalent Diagnostic Trouble Codes, aka DTCs, other forum members will be able to help you get to a solution more quickly and easily!

No spark

More
2 years 2 months ago #54334 by angelcoamo44
No spark was created by angelcoamo44
1996 Mitsubishi montero 3.0L 12 valves.....No spark..No 12 volts at pin #2 of the ignition coil....ecu doesn't switch to ground pin #38....if I ground pin #38, ecu has battery voltage on pin 12 and 25, and has 5 volts on pin 81......but doesn't ground itself (pin 38) when I cycle the key........any help will be highly appreciated.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
2 years 2 months ago #54355 by angelcoamo44
Replied by angelcoamo44 on topic No spark
Thanks for your reply Monde....I still got some doubts....Does the ignition coil needs 12 volts in order to fire the spark..??...if it does, where the 12 volts come from..??...Does the power transistor unit (module) supplies the voltage..or the voltage comes straight from the ignition switch..??....Right now i only read .24 volts (a quarter of a volt) at the ignition #2 wire...where I suppose to have battery voltage, in order to have a spark. in other words I have ground voltage where I suppose to have battery voltage.

More
2 years 2 months ago #54361 by angelcoamo44
Thanks a lot Monde for the information....I will analyze it...and try to understand it. I will let you know if some doubts arise. I love troubleshooting this 1996 Mitsubishi montero that I own but I lack a lot of understanding on how electronics behave...

More
2 years 2 months ago #54362 by VegasJAK
Replied by VegasJAK on topic No spark

Does the ignition coil needs 12 volts in order to fire the spark..??...if it does, where the 12 volts come from..??

Monde answered, "Power to the coils comes from the ignition switch".

The ground to collapse the magnetic field of the coils and create spark comes from the power transistor unit.

"an open mind let's knowledge flow in and wisdom flow out for a man who has neither never listens to those who have both".
Being wrong doesn't bother me, it's being right and not understanding why that does
The following user(s) said Thank You: angelcoamo44

More
2 years 2 months ago #54364 by angelcoamo44
Thanks a lot scannerjohn for your reply....I will apply this information to my troubleshooting....

More
2 years 2 months ago #54368 by angelcoamo44
If power to the coils comes from the ignition switch.....Why I don't have power at pin # 2 of the ignition coil...??....I have battery voltage at fuse num. 11 but not at ignition coil...

More
2 years 2 months ago #54370 by VegasJAK
Without a wiring diagram I'm not able to answer that. There maybe a relay or other component between the fuse and coils. Sorry, I don't have access to a diagram.

"an open mind let's knowledge flow in and wisdom flow out for a man who has neither never listens to those who have both".
Being wrong doesn't bother me, it's being right and not understanding why that does

More
2 years 2 months ago #54372 by angelcoamo44

This browser does not support PDFs. Please download the PDF to view it: Download PDF

.........this is the wire diagram
The following user(s) said Thank You: Monde

More
2 years 2 months ago - 2 years 2 months ago #54374 by VegasJAK
The blk/wht wire from ignition to fuse 11 feeds the fuel pump relay, pcm pin 82 and the coil. If you have 12v at fuse 11, first check for 12v at fp relay then pin 82. Somewhere along that blk/wht wire is high resistance. You'll have to trace that wire carefully. KOEO.
note: fuse 11 is not the power feed to the coil.

Last edit: 2 years 2 months ago by VegasJAK.

More
2 years 2 months ago #54377 by angelcoamo44
Thanks a lot scannerjohn......I will trace that blk/wht wire carefully.....I hope I can find the problem

More
2 years 2 months ago #54418 by VegasJAK
Any progress?

I have lingering questions in the back of my mind as to why you have 12v on one leg of the circuit and .24v on another.

More
2 years 2 months ago #54422 by angelcoamo44
Thanks for asking scannerjohn.....I have .24 volts ( a quarter of a volt) on pin # 2 of the igsnition coil. On pin #1 I measured 0.0 volts. Looking at the wiring diagram it seems that fuse num. 19 also feeds the ecu...I need to check the voltage on pin #80 to see if a have battery voltage on it. I keep wondering why the check engine light doesn't shines anymore on the panel, and why there's no spark at the ignition....

More
2 years 2 months ago #54424 by VegasJAK

I keep wondering why the check engine light doesn't shines anymore

The check engine light is fed by fuse 11 and pin 36 of pcm. Recheck to see if you have 12v in and out of fuse 11. That's for the mil only not the coil. There are three splices on the blk/wht wire. One goes to fuse 11, one to the f/p , one to pin 82 of pcm and one to the coil.

You may need to recycle the key for the mil to come back on.

More
2 years 2 months ago #54427 by angelcoamo44
Thanks for your reply scannerjohn......I checked num. 11 fuse and it has battery voltage on both sides....I haven't checked the voltage at pin num. 5 and pin num. 7 of the fuel pump relay yet...

More
2 years 2 months ago #54473 by angelcoamo44
Hi......I checked voltage at pin 5 and pin 7 of the fuel pump relay....both are .23 voltage (quarter of a volt).....also in pin 82 of the ecu is .23 volt.

More
2 years 2 months ago #54477 by angelcoamo44
I checked with the key in the ON position...

More
2 years 2 months ago #54478 by jreardon
Replied by jreardon on topic No spark
Look for connector C-26-1 behind right end of dash.
imgur.com/a/18NE8Jr

More
2 years 2 months ago #54479 by angelcoamo44
Thanks jreardon for your reply......I will look for connector c-26-1 as soon às I can and let you know if I solve the problem.....I appreciate all the help I can get...

More
2 years 2 months ago #54513 by VegasJAK
Any progress?

Time to create page: 0.251 seconds