Help us help you. By posting the year, make, model and engine near the beginning of your help request, followed by the symptoms (no start, high idle, misfire etc.) Along with any prevalent Diagnostic Trouble Codes, aka DTCs, other forum members will be able to help you get to a solution more quickly and easily!

5v Reference Circuit problem (maybe) (FIXED)

More
7 years 1 month ago - 7 years 1 month ago #7963 by GeorG
Customer brought his 2011 Mazda 3 with a 2.5 engine because his fans are on all the time (it has a module type fan with 3 wires) and has had it in several shops, and now its my turn at it. ;)

Codes :

P0102 Mass airflow circuit low reference
P0113 IAT sensor 1 circuit high
P0117 ECT circuit low input
P0118 ECT circuit high input
P061B Internall control module torque calculation performance
P0685 ECM/PCM power relay control circuit/open
P2184 ECT sensor 2 circuit low
P2185 ECT sensor 2 circuit high

Among other ABS U codes (wich I can post if you guys think its relevant).

When I look for live data I noticed that ect sensor 2 (wich is located in the radiator) was showing 55 F (3.4 volts), and the ect 1 sensor (wich has been changed twice) was showing 186 F (0.67 volts), IAT was showing 64 F (2.49 volts) and the outside temperature sensor was showing 62 F (I couldnt find a voltage PID). So I unpluged ALL of the thermistors and this is what they read:

ECT 2 -40 F ( 4.99 volts)
ECT 1 -40 F (4.63 volts)
IAT -40 F (5 volts)
Ambient sensor -40 F

So I go and test rigth at the sensors and basically it was the same readings (a bit lower on all of them because of the multimeter). So Im thinking of high ressistance on the ECT 1 signal wire, but with PCM disconected the wire from the ECT to the PCM is 0.2 ohms and OL Megaomhs to groung and power, so its not the wire. :unsure:

So I get everything connected and acces live data again with the ECT 1 disconnected and monitor the voltage PID wile I use my Power probe hook to inject 5 volts to the circuit just to see what hapens and my ECT 1 voltage PID shows 5 volts (again, signal wire ok right?)

So I think to myself that there has to be a sensor that shares that 5 volt reference internally (5 voltage ref 1 and 2 maybe?) and is partially shorted. I now procede to unplug all of the sensors that use a 5 volt referance (Throthle, MAP, fuel tank pressure sensor, ac pressure sensor, egr, etc.. and everthing shows the same voltage.

Im now check powers and grounds at the PCM and everything is ok.

Now what?

Im at a point were Im about to call the computer but that has been tried in another shop already.
Last edit: 7 years 1 month ago by GeorG.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Noah
  • Give code definitions with numbers!
More
7 years 1 month ago #7969 by Noah
Hi georG, I moved your post to the repair questions section.

Do you happen to have a diagram for the fan circuit?
I'd pull one for you, but I'm mobile at the moment...

"Ground cannot be checked with a 10mm socket"

More
7 years 1 month ago #7971 by GeorG

Noah wrote: Hi georG, I moved your post to the repair questions section.

Do you happen to have a diagram for the fan circuit?
I'd pull one for you, but I'm mobile at the moment...

here it is
Attachments:

More
7 years 1 month ago - 7 years 1 month ago #7972 by GeorG
One more thing I forgot to mention, when I touch the ECT 1 signal wire with my multmeter or my power probe 2, the TAC makes a clicking sound. This doesn't happen with any of the other thermistors or sensors that use a 5 volt reference.

I should also add that the fan will turn on with the car running because PCM is "seeing" 200 + F after a few seconds, so I don't think the problem will be in the fan circuit.
Last edit: 7 years 1 month ago by GeorG. Reason: Adding information

More
7 years 1 month ago #8000 by cheryl hartkorn
check out this video, have you performed these tests??

More
7 years 1 month ago #8009 by GeorG

cheryl hartkorn wrote:

check out this video, have you performed these tests??

Yes all of that's been sorted out. Like I said earlier, the fan comes on because PCM is "seeing" 200 + F after a few seconds, and then it comands the fan on, so my problem is that the 5 volt feed from the pcm is lower than it should be. This is why I've been chasing a "short" on the 5 volt regulator.
I know there's no way to have a "short" on the 5 volt signal wire of a thermistor, but I'm "guessing" it's internall, but the problem with that "theory" is that none of the other sensors (including thermistors) have any drop on their 5 voltage references, wich is why I "guess" this PCM might have two 5 voltage regulators, but I'm really just guess working at this point., and that's what brought me to ask here.

So... HELP !!!! :)

More
7 years 1 month ago #8010 by GeorG
I already checked the wiring, and it's not shorted.

This is what I've checked :

-Unpluged ALL the sensors, valves and actuators to see if my ECT 1 voltage goes to 5 ( it doesn't).
-Unpluged PCM, unpluged ALL the sensors, valves and actuators, and ohm tested ALL and every single wire that comes from them to the PCM (ohmed check to power and gound).
-Powers and grounds for PCM are in spec.
-Introduced 5 volts to the ECT 1 signal wire while monitoring the voltage PID, and it shows a steady 5 volt and my power probe hook doesn't show a short.
-After clearing the codes, none have returned (I think only ECT low voltage did, I would have to check).

What am I missing before I call the computer?

More
7 years 1 month ago #8011 by cheryl hartkorn
nice work, with the unplugging all the sensors. I wouldn't of had the patience I would of cut the reference wires at the pcm and see if I got the 5 volts back then if so started tracking the wiring. its hard when your not there working on the car. maybe try putting a potentiometer in place of the ect sensor that reads 200?

More
7 years 1 month ago - 7 years 1 month ago #8017 by GeorG

cheryl hartkorn wrote: nice work, with the unplugging all the sensors. I wouldn't of had the patience I would of cut the reference wires at the pcm and see if I got the 5 volts back then if so started tracking the wiring.

Imagine cutting ALL the sensor's that share a 5 volt reference, I think that would be more dificult, dont you think?
Any suggestions? ;)
Last edit: 7 years 1 month ago by GeorG. Reason: mispelled

More
7 years 1 month ago #8020 by Tyler
Based on all your testing, I'm wondering if there's high resistance inside the PCM (between the 5V regulator and the connector pin) that's causing the readings you're seeing. Besides a short, which you've shown doesn't exist, this is the only explanation I have. :blink:

Just for giggles, I'd be curious to know if the 'skewed' temp sensor reading followed the circuit. i.e. wire the ECT1 harness to the ECT2 sensor. If the ECT2 sensor read, say, 70 degrees when hooked up correctly, then ECT1 should read the same when connected in reverse. But, based on everything you've done so far, it probably won't. ;) That'd help to verify a circuit problem.

If you wanted to be double sure of your wiring, you could also load it with a test light. Not that there was anything wrong with your PP Hook test, just offering a verification test.

Otherwise, I think you're looking at a PCM. To be clear, the fan does shut off with the key, right? And stays off at lower (measured) coolant temps?

More
7 years 1 month ago - 7 years 1 month ago #8024 by GeorG

Tyler wrote: Based on all your testing, I'm wondering if there's high resistance inside the PCM (between the 5V regulator and the connector pin) that's causing the readings you're seeing. Besides a short, which you've shown doesn't exist, this is the only explanation I have. :blink:
Otherwise, I think you're looking at a PCM.

I think so too, but what are the ods of another PCM having THE SAME problem (because the other shop already tried a used computer)?
So Im looking for others to chime in with tests that I might have missed.

Tyler wrote: Just for giggles, I'd be curious to know if the 'skewed' temp sensor reading followed the circuit. i.e. wire the ECT1 harness to the ECT2 sensor. If the ECT2 sensor read, say, 70 degrees when hooked up correctly, then ECT1 should read the same when connected in reverse. But, based on everything you've done so far, it probably won't. ;) That'd help to verify a circuit problem.

I will try that tomorrow.

Tyler wrote: To be clear, the fan does shut off with the key, right?

Yes.

Tyler wrote: And stays off at lower (measured) coolant temps?

It doesnt take that long for the car to reach high temperature (wronfuly tough), but yes.

Thanks to everyone ;)

More
7 years 1 month ago #8027 by Tyler

GeorG wrote: I think so too, but what are the ods of another PCM having THE SAME problem (because the other shop already tried a used computer)?
So Im looking for others to chime in with tests that I might have missed.

Ah crap, I missed the part where another PCM had been tried. :blush: My mistake!

Now that I think about it, ECT1 and 2 probably don't agree with the engine cold and the key on, do they?

More
7 years 1 month ago #8033 by GeorG

Tyler wrote: Ah crap, I missed the part where another PCM had been tried. :blush: My mistake!

Jajajaj, thanks Tyler, its great that you think its the PCM because I also think its a PCM problem, but like you, just knowing that another PCM has been tried makes me double think my own conclusions. Like the Danner always says, its tough calling a computer. ;)

More
7 years 1 month ago #8035 by borntoroll
Are you sure it is not a failed water pump? What are the ohms readings of the ect1 when its cold and when fans kick on?

More
7 years 1 month ago #8040 by GeorG

borntoroll wrote: Are you sure it is not a failed water pump? What are the ohms readings of the ect1 when its cold and when fans kick on?

This is the second ECT that has been tried. Like I said, the other shop already tried all the obvius, plus, with ECT disconected we should have near 5 volts on the signal wire, not 4.6

More
7 years 1 month ago - 7 years 1 month ago #8041 by borntoroll
Ok, suppose PCM sends 5v through a 100k resistor. The question: what will be the voltage measured with your 1megaOhm impedance voltmeter? ;)
Last edit: 7 years 1 month ago by borntoroll.

More
7 years 1 month ago #8050 by GeorG

borntoroll wrote: Ok, suppose PCM sends 5v through a 100k resistor. The question: what will be the voltage measured with your 1megaOhm impedance voltmeter? ;)

Yep it drops a bit like I mention in the begining of the topic ;)

GeorG wrote: So I go and test rigth at the sensors and basically it was the same readings (a bit lower on all of them because of the multimeter).

But comparabitly (with the other thermistors) it is substationally lower.

What am I missing guys.

:unsure: HELP!!!!!!! :unsure:

More
7 years 1 month ago - 7 years 1 month ago #8058 by borntoroll
Check ohms
Last edit: 7 years 1 month ago by borntoroll.

More
7 years 1 month ago - 7 years 1 month ago #8063 by GeorG

borntoroll wrote: Check ohms

Could you be more specific to were I should check ohms please? :huh:

• Noah
  • Give code definitions with numbers!
More
7 years 1 month ago - 7 years 1 month ago #8079 by Noah

cheryl hartkorn wrote: nice work, with the unplugging all the sensors. I wouldn't of had the patience I would of cut the reference wires at the pcm and see if I got the 5 volts back then if so started tracking the wiring. its hard when your not there working on the car. maybe try putting a potentiometer in place of the ect sensor that reads 200?

I still like Cheryl's idea of snipping the 5v ref wire at the PCM and measuring voltage there. I know you've exhaustively checked for shorts on this wire, but I think it's relevant. If it happens to jump to 5v, great (wishful thinking).
Other than that, I'm thinking that logically, a poor PCM ground could cause a low voltage condition on that circuit, but you say you've checked powers and grounds at the PCM.

How about the thermistor? Is it possible that it could be incorrect for this application? Maybe a cheap white box unit?I wonder if both ECT sensors have the same resistance at the same temperature, or if they are interchangeable. I'm thinking particularly of the double step thermistors.

I was also wondering if you have a way to measure the actual temperature around the sensor location while the ECT is reporting nearly 200.
Unfortunately, I have little service info for this car. The diagram you posted blows away anything All Data has to say. :angry:

"Ground cannot be checked with a 10mm socket"
Last edit: 7 years 1 month ago by Noah.

Time to create page: 0.323 seconds