Help us help you. By posting the year, make, model and engine near the beginning of your help request, followed by the symptoms (no start, high idle, misfire etc.) Along with any prevalent Diagnostic Trouble Codes, aka DTCs, other forum members will be able to help you get to a solution more quickly and easily!

2010 Toyota Corolla 1.8l gauge reading malfunction

More
2 years 3 months ago - 2 years 3 months ago #53926 by Probinson0977
2010 Toyota Corolla S is showing incorrect gauge readings while driving. It started with the VSC and check engine light. Then it progressed to the check engine light flashing and causing the car to lose significant power. But as always you take it to a mechanic it quits these problems, besides for the vsc lights that were on the dash. So the vehicle drove fine again for about 2 months and about 2 weeks ago it started randomly, showing while driving ,that the temperature was in full red the speedometer gauge would go completely to 140 and back ,the cluster gauge in general just began a mind of its own while driving showing incorrect readings on nearly every gauge. The check oil light would come on. the temperature light would come on. the gauge itself as I said would go all the way into the red. I would shut the vehicle off started again of course the gauges were fine .I checked for overheating issues. All the gauges were doing some sort of erratic changes while driving. This morning my wife goes to start the car previous for work, afterwords she notices that the car is not running anymore so she goes outside tries to start the vehicle again. Now the vehicle is in a no start no crank. Although there is power in the battery. Car has brand new alternator. I have multimeter and I have a test light as well. So I am open to any suggestions that are given to me. Thank you in advance for taking time to read this.
Last edit: 2 years 3 months ago by Probinson0977. Reason: Shortened the post. Cut out unneeded words.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
2 years 3 months ago #53968 by oneel998
is it still a crank no start?

make sure you check the obv. park, make sure the cluster does see its in park. loose connection at battery, battery ground etc

if park is okay, then get on the small signal wire of the starter and have your wife crank, with the test light on battery ground, and see if the car starts up. IF the park doesnt show up, might seem like a waste but its really helped me a few times, CHECK EVERY fuse. if that passes, go to your DLC and get your voltage measurements. get the diagram and let us know what you get for voltage measurements

More
2 years 2 months ago #54603 by Probinson0977
Thank you for responding I really appreciate it. We have a put a battery in alternator in the car and it starts and the motor and transmission seem to be fine. The problem is every light wants to come on on the dash but there was a lot of lights coming on the dash before. we have the real problem and the one light that comes on that causes the major malfunctions of this vehicle is the battery light. When that red battery light comes on something's going to happen to that car but what that something is is random. It May as I said before show that it's overheating .it may increase voltage to the air conditioning fan causing it to surge for a moment. And tonight things got to the point where my wife is really frustrated because anyone would be
she was coming home from work and the headlights just quit working on the car. She tried to turn the headlights on manually and that didn't help. She had to drive home on her daytime running lamps and the hazard flashers. Luckily she was close to the house or she would have had to have abandoned the vehicle for the night.I explained in the first post how our mechanic can't fix it ,he doesn't do electrical work. She just took this vehicle to Toyota and paid $1,500 to them and they said it was a coil pack to plug one and they just fixed a few recalls on the car. It had been spitting out the plug one coil previously so we replaced the coils on the vehicle. Every coil pack from cylinder 1 through 4 is brand new. We also put new spark plugs in it and I digress that .Toyota did put four new spark plugs in it and the number one coil pack .along with a new battery terminal because the one that was on it just needed a bolt and wouldnt squeeze hard enough to grab the post. But there's some real just almost like a pinball machine of electrical problems with this car and I don't know where to start now because since you answered the original question things have changed. I would like to do the two things that you asked for me to do. But I must ask you this .jkwhere is the fuse panel inside the car? And what is a DLC? And if that's not another name for the fuse box under the hood I imagine I need to be testing those parts as well. But I'm so glad I got a reply. I thank God just knows when you need help and we really need it right now on this car. So thank you so much for responding and I look forward to hearing from you about the few questions that I had to ask. Once again many thanks.

More
2 years 2 months ago #54624 by Probinson0977
I understand I posted this a month ago or so but I just had my first comment on it please those of you that have knowledge of Toyotas help me out. Thank you so much

Time to create page: 0.207 seconds