Help us help you. By posting the year, make, model and engine near the beginning of your help request, followed by the symptoms (no start, high idle, misfire etc.) Along with any prevalent Diagnostic Trouble Codes, aka DTCs, other forum members will be able to help you get to a solution more quickly and easily!

"Hot/on temp" Catalytic Converter - Bank1 Cat has steady lean Voltage ??????

More
2 years 3 months ago - 2 years 3 months ago #53872 by Smeter12
Background Info
- 1997 Porsche 911 993 model with a NA 3.6L with a factory resonance intake manifold
- vehicle needs to pass smog
- the O2 sensor and catalytic converter monitors need to set to pass smog

Work we have done so far
- replace 2x upfront O2 sensors as well as 2x downstream O2 sensors
- repaired intake vacuum leaks

Relevant snapshots from the scantool:
- please remember, the catalytic converter is hot from me test driving the car and I am now back at the shop in the bay grabbing this snapshot (composed of the 3 attached pics from frames 502 to 640)
- (1) pic "993_1of 3" - you can see I am bring the rpm's up to 2500 rpm (i.e. frame 502 ish)
- in frame 503 ish of pic "993_1 of 3" you can see B1S2 go lean and stays lean all the way to frame 545
- at the same time, you can see B2S2 climb in voltage from frames 503 ish to 545
- (2) in pic "993_Pic 2 of 3" - you can see B1S2 keeps staying lean while B2S2's voltage steady's out around 0.7V
- (3) again, in pic "993_Pic 3 of 3" - you can see B1S2 staying lean till frame 640 (where I throttle back to idle) while B2S2 stays at about 0.7V till frame 640
- (4) pic "993_fuel trims at idle" - provided this snapshot to show that fuel trims are single digits and good at idle and slightly off idle (note - you can determine where I am throttling based on MAF g/s reading); STFT for both banks fluctuates between -6% to 8% while the LTFT is a steady 0.8%

What I don't understand:
- Why is B1S2 (i.e. Bank 1 catalytic converter) reading so lean? As per the fuel trims, the fuel pressure is likely good. What else could be the problem?

As always - thoughts appreciated and thanks in advance.
Attachments:
Last edit: 2 years 3 months ago by Smeter12. Reason: didn't see my pics... added them

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
2 years 3 months ago - 2 years 3 months ago #53898 by Andy.MacFadyen
Took me a few minutes to get my head round this. Did you genuine factory sensors there are a lot of fakes around.
Working basic O2 Lambda sensor really can only read either 0.1 or over 0.8 although the signal can pass through the mid range between the two it cannot output mid range signal for more than a fraction of a second.
Try swapping the down sensors between banks and see if the readings follow the sensor . If not check the sensor heater operation on bank2

" We're trying to plug a hole in the universe, what are you doing ?. "
(Walter Bishop Fringe TV show)

Last edit: 2 years 3 months ago by Andy.MacFadyen.

More
2 years 3 months ago #53935 by Smeter12
Purchased Bosch O2 sensors for this vehicle. Not sure how "factory" an O2 sensor purchased in 2022 will be for a 1997 vehicle - hopefully it will still have similar qualities. I will switch them up / check the current on the heater circuit. Thanks for your thoughts.

Time to create page: 0.199 seconds