Help us help you. By posting the year, make, model and engine near the beginning of your help request, followed by the symptoms (no start, high idle, misfire etc.) Along with any prevalent Diagnostic Trouble Codes, aka DTCs, other forum members will be able to help you get to a solution more quickly and easily!

Parasitic draw

More
2 years 3 months ago #53748 by Thrashnasty13
Parasitic draw was created by Thrashnasty13
I'm working on a 2005 kia amanti with a battery draw. I put my amp meter Inline with the battery cable and found which fuse was drawing. It lead me to the Inside fuse panel. I then determined it was coming from the 10amp lan unit fuse. So I removed it and ran my meter inline of it. I started with 177 miliamps and started disconnecting everything on that circuit one by one. Each part would drop the draw down some but not enough to call it "bad", some were 9 miliamp and a few in the 30s. I disconnected everything accept the bcm and of course the dlc port. I then went to the bcm. I reconnected everything I had once disconnected and started disconnecting the bcm plugs. Nothing changed until I disconnected the "A" connector. That's where this fuse feeds the bcm at A1. I lost all battery draw once I did this. So the draw is coming thru the bcm. Now my question is how do I go about finding if I need a bcm or if this is an external issue pulling thru the bcm? And how do I find it?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
2 years 3 months ago #53749 by Cheryl
Replied by Cheryl on topic Parasitic draw
Use amp clamp around the wires coming out of the a connector.

More
2 years 3 months ago #53750 by Tutti57
Replied by Tutti57 on topic Parasitic draw
And make sure you are leaving the vehicle off for long enough for the BCM to shut down. Door switches and possibly hood switch should bE considered, if it has one.

• Noah
  • Give code definitions with numbers!
More
2 years 3 months ago #53768 by Noah
Replied by Noah on topic Parasitic draw
This video by Trained by Techs touches on the subject of further isolating the cause of the draw beyond the module.
Be sure to watch it to the end, I almost missed the conclusion because I thought the video was over.

"Ground cannot be checked with a 10mm socket"

Time to create page: 0.214 seconds