Help us help you. By posting the year, make, model and engine near the beginning of your help request, followed by the symptoms (no start, high idle, misfire etc.) Along with any prevalent Diagnostic Trouble Codes, aka DTCs, other forum members will be able to help you get to a solution more quickly and easily!

Re:2014 Chrysler Town and Country 3.6L Pentestar engine P0016 and P0018

More
2 years 3 months ago #53708 by Mitchroberson
So had to replace timing chain on this Van. it starts and runs very well sounds good. But has check Engine Light for the above codes which indicates camshaft position alignment for the exhaust both banks. P0016 is for one bank and P0018 is for the other bank. I am positive we have the alignment right we checked and double checked before putting it back together.
I have also look at actual exhaust verses desired Exhaust for both banks and it shows we are with in .70 degrees most of the time it match's up most of the time or with in the .7 degrees all the time.
However when you watch cam\crank alignment it shows 15 degrees off. I can't get my scan tool to run the cam\crank relearn and think it is because it shows up 15 degrees off. I tried using the scan tool to clear memory. And the code came right back as pending with in about 15 seconds. I am think about doing the reset that you connect the battery cables together overnight. But this car had the battery out for 2 months so find it hard to believe a capacitor could keep memory alive that long. But possible.
Any suggestions would be appreciated. I will do voltage checks at each sensor. and do a cam crank sensor comparison tomorrow with a scope I hope.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
2 years 3 months ago #53710 by Cheryl
The reluctant on the camshaft could have slipped.

More
2 years 3 months ago #53712 by Mitchroberson
I have the measuring gauges and they have not slipped from what it shows. And seems odd that both bank 1 and bank2 exhaust have same issue
The following user(s) said Thank You: Cheryl

More
2 years 3 months ago #53715 by Cheryl
Is the crank keyed? Maybe the crank key sheared?? And nothing wrong with the cams
The following user(s) said Thank You: Mitchroberson

More
2 years 3 months ago #53728 by Mitchroberson
Thanks will check that shortly

Sent from my SM-N970U using Tapatalk

More
2 years 3 months ago #53832 by Mitchroberson
So to add more to this. We tore it back down and found we were off a tooth. And I know why. put it all back together started it up and now we have a P0019 that is the only code which indicates bank 2 intake. And it shows up quickly and runs rough at start up.
We tore it down again just to confirm we had everything right. And timing is spot on. spun the engine over several times and checked it several times and is always spot on.
Since I have the tone wheel alignment tools to check alignment we checked alignment each time we spun the engine over and they are spot on. So this puts us to phaser, oiler\VVT actuator, or VVT solenoid. When we scope the cam signals both sides are identical so. that is not an issue.
Interesting note is that when you scope the VVT solenoid during start up you hear the intake and see the wave form. like it is trying to clean the Actuator. this happens for about a Min then stops and engine runs awesome. I can drive it no issues.
Trying to figure out what is next. I want to really diagnose this it has new cam phasers and new vvt actuators and I think one of them is bad. Any suggestions on diagnosing this one.

More
2 years 3 months ago - 2 years 3 months ago #53833 by Mitchroberson
So to add more to this. We tore it back down and found we were off a tooth. And I know why. put it all back together started it up and now we have a P0019 that is the only code which indicates bank 2 intake. And it shows up quickly and runs rough at start up.
We tore it down again just to confirm we had everything right. And timing is spot on. spun the engine over several times and checked it several times and is always spot on.
Since I have the tone wheel alignment tools to check alignment we checked alignment each time we spun the engine over and they are spot on. So this puts us to phaser, oiler\VVT actuator, or VVT solenoid. When we scope the cam signals both sides are identical so. that is not an issue.
Interesting note is that when you scope the VVT solenoid during start up you hear the intake solenoid actuating and see the wave form like it is being pulsed. And the engine runs rough while this is happening so it seems it is moving the cam phaser positive and negative. like it is trying to clean the Actuator. this happens for about a Min then stops and engine runs awesome. I can drive it no issues.
Trying to figure out what is next. I want to really diagnose this it has new cam phasers and new vvt actuators and I think one of them is bad. Any suggestions on diagnosing this one.
Last edit: 2 years 3 months ago by Mitchroberson.

More
2 years 3 months ago #53915 by Mitchroberson
Found the problem. New VVT actuators were not correct. the number of oiler holes was not the same as the old set. Verified the order and they were the correct part number but through a non-oem vendor. Put the old VVT actuators in and all is good. cam\crank correlation numbers totally changed after doing this. we were running about 9.6 on intake for each side. after going back to the old it runs about -4.6
The following user(s) said Thank You: ksat22

Time to create page: 0.205 seconds