Help us help you. By posting the year, make, model and engine near the beginning of your help request, followed by the symptoms (no start, high idle, misfire etc.) Along with any prevalent Diagnostic Trouble Codes, aka DTCs, other forum members will be able to help you get to a solution more quickly and easily!

Electrical gremlin

More
2 years 4 months ago #53695 by lrburke
Electrical gremlin was created by lrburke
Hello, I have a 2008 Ford Fusion with a V-6. Out of nowhere it just started going crazy. This is the list of what it’s doing:

Idle pulsating, headlights pulsating, dash lights going on and off, tachometer going to zero and back to on, interior lights off and on, and a loud clicking noise under the dash near the Smart Junction Box. I have swapped the dash cluster with no change. Alternator and battery are new. I have removed and cleaned every engine bay ground with no change. Has anyone seen this craziness and have any insight? Thanks for reading this..I can post a video of what it’s doing if needed.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
2 years 4 months ago - 2 years 4 months ago #53701 by Cheryl
Replied by Cheryl on topic Electrical gremlin
Is the alternator a ford or aftermarket? Maybe try unplugging the alternator and starting it? Use a multi meter set on volts dc check battery voltage while running. Then put black lead on battery negative post then red on engine record reading then move red lead to the body of the car record reading. Then take negative lead go on block ground black on body record reading. Should all be close to 0
Last edit: 2 years 4 months ago by Cheryl.

More
2 years 4 months ago #53713 by DennisH
Replied by DennisH on topic Electrical gremlin
My son's 06 Escape 3.0 V6 had same type of symptoms. It was alternator overcharging. Continued happening after replacement with parts store rebuilt. That one had same issue... When it got to 16V or so, dash shut off, did weird things... Replaced with new motorcraft since you never want to replace an alternator in an Escape more than once. May not be it, but did have same symptoms.

More
2 years 4 months ago #53721 by lrburke
Replied by lrburke on topic Electrical gremlin
Thanks for the replies, I am certain the alternator is not a Ford part. I will take both of these replies and perform the tests from both. I did check the charging voltage and it is a steady 14 + volts. I will let you know what I find. Thanks again

More
2 years 3 months ago #53741 by Tutti57
Replied by Tutti57 on topic Electrical gremlin
Excessive AC ripple comes to mind too. Disconnecting the alt like Cheryl said should show if that's the case.

More
2 years 3 months ago #53745 by VegasJAK
Replied by VegasJAK on topic Electrical gremlin
The loud clicking noise peeks my couriosity. Sounds like a relay. My first would be to isolate what is clicking. Is the clicking the cause or effect of the problem?

"an open mind let's knowledge flow in and wisdom flow out for a man who has neither never listens to those who have both".
Being wrong doesn't bother me, it's being right and not understanding why that does

More
2 years 3 months ago #53762 by lrburke
Yes I agree and the clicking seems to be coming from the SJB under the dash and I have spoken with Circuitboard Medics and there are internal relays inside of it. I plan to get on All-data and look at wiring to and from it and see if it’s getting steady power to it. I would like to check all the various power wires leaving it but it has those big latching connections and might not be able to backprobe them. I have checked for any AC voltage at the battery with it running and didn’t see any. I will update soon. Thanks guys

More
2 years 3 months ago #53767 by lrburke
Hey guys, well I am almost certain the problem did turn out to be the alternator. The main cable was a pain to get to but I just wanted to rule that out first. Disconnected it and the car ran absolutely perfect with no electrical issues anymore but my question is what was the alternator doing wrong to cause it? Was it putting AC voltage into the system? Overcharging? Someone please educate me on why the alternator made this electrical system go crazy.

More
2 years 3 months ago #53821 by lrburke
Anyone?

More
2 years 3 months ago #53822 by Cheryl
Replied by Cheryl on topic Electrical gremlin
Your going to have to check charging system voltage at the battery terminals running. Then check ac voltage at the b+ stud hook negative lead to battery negative switch meter to ac volts not dc and probe b+ at alternator. Should definitely not see more than think .4

Time to create page: 0.223 seconds