Help us help you. By posting the year, make, model and engine near the beginning of your help request, followed by the symptoms (no start, high idle, misfire etc.) Along with any prevalent Diagnostic Trouble Codes, aka DTCs, other forum members will be able to help you get to a solution more quickly and easily!

Long travel brake pedal

More
2 years 4 months ago #53491 by tonybaroni
2007 Honda CR-V AWD
Pedal travel is long before the brakes engage.

Previous work done:
Replaced rotors and pads summer of 2020

Two months back, had the long pedal travel. Replaced the master Cylinder, flushed the lines at each corner, and it fixed it. At that time, did not see any leaks.

Now the problem is back.

What next to check?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
2 years 4 months ago #53493 by Tyler
Replied by Tyler on topic Long travel brake pedal
With the engine running, if you pump the brake pedal two or three times quickly, does the pedal height improve significantly? This is a quick and dirty check for air in the system.

Do ALL the slide pins and pads move freely in their brackets? A frozen slide pin or a pinched brake pad can cause excessive pedal travel.

More
2 years 4 months ago #53546 by tonybaroni
Replied by tonybaroni on topic Long travel brake pedal
Thanks, i'll take a look at those!

More
2 years 3 months ago #53687 by tonybaroni
When I pump the pedal with the engine running, it doesn't change the pedal height.
I inspected the brakes visually at each corner and by turning the rotors by hand. They all turned after after pressing the brake pedal and releasing it, and everything looks fine. Inspected fluid level, and all rubber brake lines, everything looks fine.

Next step is bring it into the mechanic...though I suppose I could try replacing the master cylinder under warranty first...

Are there other things I should inspect or test first? Could this be related to ABS?

More
2 years 3 months ago #53696 by ontheriver
Replied by ontheriver on topic Long travel brake pedal
Has the abs been activated since the last repair, if there was any air in the system it found its way to, of course the place you can't bleed without a scanner

More
2 years 3 months ago #53714 by tonybaroni
My mechanic said there was air in the system. They bled it multiple times, in two ways apparently. Seems fine again.

Time to create page: 0.196 seconds