Help us help you. By posting the year, make, model and engine near the beginning of your help request, followed by the symptoms (no start, high idle, misfire etc.) Along with any prevalent Diagnostic Trouble Codes, aka DTCs, other forum members will be able to help you get to a solution more quickly and easily!

2012 Acura MDX misfires

• Noah
  • Noah's Avatar Topic Author
  • Give code definitions with numbers!
More
2 years 4 months ago #53450 by Noah
2012 Acura MDX misfires was created by Noah
2012 Acura MDX 3.7L V6
MIL on with misfire complaint.
This one is fixed, but I don't fully understand why it was broken, maybe someone will have a better idea.
This Acura would start and run well, for all of ten seconds. Then it would begin to misfire, bad, like you flipped a switch. Shut down and restart, exact same scenario.
Code scan revealed:
P0355-Crank sensor signal intermittent
P0302/4/6- misfire cylinder 2/4/6
P0300-random misfire
P0430-cat efficiency B2
I verified that those 3 cylinders were indeed a dead miss, all dropping out at the same time.
They are not on the same bank.
The layout is 123 in the back and 456 in the front.
I decided to current ramp the coils from the underhood fuse box, because it was easy, and I could see all six coils were being controlled during the miss.
Considering it runs perfectly for several minutes, I decided no to perform a relative compression test.
I decided to investigate the code set criteria for the p0355 and make a plan to test the crank sensor.
During my research and set up, the battery died in the Acura, and naturaly, the codes disappeared. (I was then informed that they battery had died several times and that part of the reason for the visit to the shop was battery replacement.)
I thought this would be a good opportunity to see if the CKP code set first, or the misfire codes.
Once jump started, it ran well, then didn't (as expected), and the first codes to return were p0302 & p0306.
I scoped the CKP any way and found the pattern to look pretty much as I would expect.
With CKP looking ok for now at not coding, and coil control not dropping off, I began to consider a running in cylinder test, thinking of some GMs I have seen with failing lifters that would result in uneven compression once running.
Not wanting to go that deep just yet, and remembering the CKP code that was in the computer before the battery died, I decided to poke around the scan tool data and functions related to the crank sensor.
There was an option to clear the crank pattern and another to relearn the pattern.
I decided to give it a go, not really expecting any results.
I was very surprised when the misfires did not return!
My feeling is that the weak battery repeatedly dying and being jump started some how was responsible for the crank pattern either being lost or learned incorrectly.
I'll admit, I got lucky. This could have gone down the rabbit hole quickly.
I'm looking forward to opinions from the community, thanks for taking the time to read my post.

"Ground cannot be checked with a 10mm socket"

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
2 years 4 months ago #53453 by Matt T
Replied by Matt T on topic 2012 Acura MDX misfires
Did it run well for seconds or minutes? You mention both??Either way it sounds like it was flagging false misfires because of the CKP learn then disabling injectors.

It's possible the battery problem directly caused the CKP pattern to be screwed up. Or maybe someone else had already been in there with a scan tool? Is the CKP learn on this thing cranking or running?
The following user(s) said Thank You: Noah

• Noah
More
2 years 4 months ago #53454 by Noah
Replied by Noah on topic 2012 Acura MDX misfires
Sorry for using non interchangeable words interchangeably. I'll work on that.
It was several seconds, possibly a minute at most.
Injectors were hard to get to, I would have liked to see if it was killing injector pulse because it falsely thought there were misfires, thus creating misfires.
Missed opportunity...
CKP relearn is done running with a wot snap.
Thanks for your input as always!

More
1 year 11 months ago #56536 by JoseG
Replied by JoseG on topic 2012 Acura MDX misfires
I to have the misfire problem on my 2012 MDX, I replaced the coils, spark plugs and fuel injectors and it still have misfire in 2 and 3 cycl. I did a relearn and that didn't help. Still have misfire in 2 and 3. what could it be?

More
1 year 11 months ago #56538 by Tyler
Replied by Tyler on topic 2012 Acura MDX misfires
JoseG, welcome to the forums!

If you're needing help with your MDX, start a new thread in the Repair section with all the relevant information. That'll get your post noticed and more likely to get help from other members.

More
1 year 9 months ago #57080 by TechNick
Replied by TechNick on topic 2012 Acura MDX misfires
I saw this a few times at my Acura dealer. The first one I did all the checks, compression, leak down, coil/plug swap etc to no avail. I called tech line and was told it's not uncommon for the stored CKP value to stop matching the CKP output for whatever reason. Relearned and fixed, same thing as yours. Can't tell you why.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Noah

• Noah
More
1 year 9 months ago #57125 by Noah
Replied by Noah on topic 2012 Acura MDX misfires

I saw this a few times at my Acura dealer. The first one I did all the checks, compression, leak down, coil/plug swap etc to no avail. I called tech line and was told it's not uncommon for the stored CKP value to stop matching the CKP output for whatever reason. Relearned and fixed, same thing as yours. Can't tell you why.
That's cool, thanks for taking the time to share your experience.

Time to create page: 0.196 seconds