Help us help you. By posting the year, make, model and engine near the beginning of your help request, followed by the symptoms (no start, high idle, misfire etc.) Along with any prevalent Diagnostic Trouble Codes, aka DTCs, other forum members will be able to help you get to a solution more quickly and easily!

Re:2003 E500 No start

More
2 years 4 months ago #53442 by AngeloMB
2003 E500 No start was created by AngeloMB
Hi All, I am working on my 2003 E500 the battery would intermittently drain so I had the Alternator replace and also did a fuel pump replace (eventually found out that after the pump replace I didn't have to). This is what's weird.... The last time a ran the car it ran until the Battery drain and stopped, I ordered a used Alternator on ebay and had it replace and since replacing the alternator the car has never started. I have tried so much that I have worn out the brushes on the starter just replace that today, I have fully charged the battery and I'm planning on running the car with the alternator disconnected does anyone have any other things I can try. DTC codes is not showing anything of real interest, one guy saw some DTC airbag codes and is convincing me that it's the air bag but sounds a little hard to believe.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
2 years 4 months ago #53447 by Dtnel
Replied by Dtnel on topic Re:2003 E500 No start
Stop throwing parts at this as your spending way more money than fixing things properly with a correct diagnosis. We call this the "Parts Cannon".

Sent from my SM-N986U1 using Tapatalk

More
2 years 4 months ago #53448 by Dtnel
Replied by Dtnel on topic Re:2003 E500 No start
Have you checked fuses to make sure they're good? Was this vehicle jump started recently by chance?

Sent from my SM-N986U1 using Tapatalk

More
2 years 4 months ago #53449 by AngeloMB
Replied by AngeloMB on topic Re:2003 E500 No start
yes we were jumping the car

More
2 years 4 months ago #53451 by AngeloMB
any particular fuse to target or just test all, it is a lot . hood trunk under dash

More
2 years 4 months ago - 2 years 4 months ago #53452 by juergen.scholl
On these cars the synchronization between immo unit and key - rolling code - easily gets lost with battery problems. Make sure the key is recognized or try another valid key.

An expert is someone who knows each time more on each time less, until he finally knows absolutely everything about absolutely nothing.
Last edit: 2 years 4 months ago by juergen.scholl.

More
2 years 4 months ago #53455 by AngeloMB
I only have one key, I have a pretty good Scanner tool (Das xentry) can I use this or some other test to see if it's a key problem?

More
2 years 4 months ago #53457 by juergen.scholl
Yes, this tool allows you to check the immo data and resync if necessary.

An expert is someone who knows each time more on each time less, until he finally knows absolutely everything about absolutely nothing.

More
2 years 4 months ago #53459 by AngeloMB
just did some volt testing I am getting 11.9V at the battery and 9V at the alternator battery post

More
2 years 4 months ago #53461 by Tutti57
Replied by Tutti57 on topic Re:2003 E500 No start
You should have pretty much the same voltage at the alt as you do at the battery. This makes me think there is a draw since voltage drop only occurs when there is current flow. Were these measurements taken with the key on? That's a large drop, no matter what, so I'd redo the connection there.

I'd charge the battery and do what juergen said to do. Also a parasitic draw test to see if there is excessive current draining the battery. If the battery was still connected during the alternator replacement, I'd check the fuses too, or if there is any chance that it was reverse jumped by accident.

More
2 years 4 months ago #53463 by Cheryl
Replied by Cheryl on topic Re:2003 E500 No start
Do you have spark?? Does it run on alternative fuel?

Time to create page: 0.231 seconds