Help us help you. By posting the year, make, model and engine near the beginning of your help request, followed by the symptoms (no start, high idle, misfire etc.) Along with any prevalent Diagnostic Trouble Codes, aka DTCs, other forum members will be able to help you get to a solution more quickly and easily!

2014 Honda Odyssey Charging System problem

More
2 years 5 months ago #52749 by cracker442
2014 Honda Odyssey not charging, new alternator was installed but still not charging. When looking at scan data the ELD sensor output drops from 4.9 with key off to 2.8 with engine on, blower, heated seats etc. all on. My question is should it drop lower than that to turn the alternator back to high? The alternator says 99%, alternator control says 14.9 and the signal still says low. Any suggestions would greatly appreciated.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
2 years 5 months ago #52753 by Cheryl
From what you wrote the alternator is already commanded to high with it at 99% and 14.

More
2 years 5 months ago #52754 by Cheryl
Have you voltage dropped the charging system? What is it charging at?

More
2 years 5 months ago #52755 by cracker442
The voltage is staying at battery voltage even with the command at at 99%. If I unplug the alternator the Alt L signal goes to high and 0%. I am suspecting that we have a defective alternator from the parts store. We had better reading with the old alternator but just wouldn't keep up with a large load on it.

More
2 years 5 months ago #52756 by Cheryl
Is the battery light on in the cluster? I’m with you them part stores alternators are junk. I’d get an oem if you could. Did you charge the battery up real good or is it dead?

More
2 years 5 months ago #52757 by Tyler
Voltage drop the main battery cable and the alternator case, with the engine running. 300mV or less.

Then, check the black/yellow at the alt connector for B+. Check the white/green for more than 8V. If those checks pass, your new alt sucks. ;) None of the other wires at the alt will cause a low charge rate.

The ELD may be acting up, but it won't cause a low charge rate by itself. That's why the white/green wire check is important.

More
2 years 5 months ago #52759 by wowcoop
The alternator brackets on these are notorious for bad contact particularly the painted ones. Verify that the alternator is grounded before going crazy replacing parts...

More
2 years 5 months ago #52821 by cracker442
Thank you all for the tips, after doing the test and reading the post, we determined it was a junk new alternator. The good news we installed a new one today and the van is on the road!

More
2 years 5 months ago #52823 by wowcoop
good to hear, can't believe how many bad replacement parts are out in the wild these days...

More
2 years 5 months ago #52824 by cracker442
Unfortunately this is true. I felt bad for my student that he had to learn the hard way on the cost of a replacement part.

Time to create page: 0.214 seconds