Help us help you. By posting the year, make, model and engine near the beginning of your help request, followed by the symptoms (no start, high idle, misfire etc.) Along with any prevalent Diagnostic Trouble Codes, aka DTCs, other forum members will be able to help you get to a solution more quickly and easily!

2014 Ford F-150 3.5L - P0172

More
2 years 5 months ago #52672 by Archer
This truck came into the shop for the CEL. It runs well at idle, and has a slight hesitation when accelerating from a stop. DTC was set at highway speed (78 mph) and almost 2000 rpms. STFT was at .8% on B1 and -1.6% on B2. LTFT was at -18% on B1 and -12.5% on B2.

Live data shows STFT at 16.4% on B1 and 21.9% on B2. LTFT is at -23.4% on B1 and -20.3% on B2.

O2s are between 125 - 210mV

I feel like I should be looking in the direction of the high pressure fuel system, but this is the first Direct Injection (and twin turbo) engine that I've had the chance to diag.

Thanks in advance for your help!

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
2 years 5 months ago #52673 by juergen.scholl
Odd trim data....

Did you check for fuel in th engine oil?

You may want to shut off the engine after a hot soak and watch the rail pressure, It should rise for quite a while, =>20 minutes. If it does not go uo you may have a leaking inyector/pump.

An expert is someone who knows each time more on each time less, until he finally knows absolutely everything about absolutely nothing.

• Noah
  • Give code definitions with numbers!
More
2 years 5 months ago #52676 by Noah
Replied by Noah on topic 2014 Ford F-150 3.5L - P0172
Under what condition did you record the fuel trim data? I'm assuming @ idle? The LTFT and STFT are virtually cancelling each other out. It's taking the long way around to pull 7% away from B1 if I'm reading that correctly.
I definitely would follow Juergens advice to see if the fuel system is sealed. If that checks out I would have a look at MAF g/ps and see if it's at least reporting close to the engine displacement at hot idle, no loads.

"Ground cannot be checked with a 10mm socket"

More
2 years 5 months ago #52678 by Archer
Replied by Archer on topic 2014 Ford F-150 3.5L - P0172
Juergen - Yes, but I could not smell any fuel on the dipstick.

I will definitely start with a hot soak this morning and look at the fuel rail pressure.

Noah - Yes, that data was recorded at a hot idle. I'll take a look at MAF if I get to that point, but I thought this was a MAP engine and the sensors before the intake are basically IAT's???

• Noah
  • Give code definitions with numbers!
More
2 years 5 months ago #52679 by Noah
Replied by Noah on topic 2014 Ford F-150 3.5L - P0172
If that's the case then disregard ;)

"Ground cannot be checked with a 10mm socket"

More
2 years 5 months ago #52681 by Tyler
Replied by Tyler on topic 2014 Ford F-150 3.5L - P0172
I see that you've got a rich code for one bank only, but the long term trims in live data AND freeze frame suggest both banks have an issue. :unsure: I'd be tempted to look for something that'd impact both banks, instead of just one.

Speaking of MAP sensors, you could always do a quick KOEO rationality check. There's the MAP sensor on the top of the intake manifold itself, and the TCBP on the boost pipe going into the throttle. I sometimes see this sensor called 'Throttle Inlet Pressure Sensor' in scan data. KOEO, they should agree on whatever your local barometric pressure is.

Does desired and actual boost agree under heavy load?

Time to create page: 0.242 seconds