Help us help you. By posting the year, make, model and engine near the beginning of your help request, followed by the symptoms (no start, high idle, misfire etc.) Along with any prevalent Diagnostic Trouble Codes, aka DTCs, other forum members will be able to help you get to a solution more quickly and easily!

1989 Ford F-150 5.8L

More
2 years 5 months ago #52560 by Mike T
1989 Ford F-150 5.8L was created by Mike T
Here is a little back story, New motor, new everything sensors and all. At idle it runs rough like it has a bad ass cam. It’s does not have a misfire. I tested the MAP and it tricked me at first just like in chapter 8 Paul said it would 2.5 on signal. But I can unplug it and it runs perfect…. I’m going to check the voltage the right way tomorrow but what else could be bad that unplugging the map could fix if it’s not the map?????

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
2 years 5 months ago #52563 by Old Ford Guy
Replied by Old Ford Guy on topic 1989 Ford F-150 5.8L
I have a 1988 F-250 that doesn't respond to the voltage test. I think it is measured in ohms. I could be wrong but thought it might point you in the right direction if voltage test comes up empty. Mine runs perfect with alternator unplugged, go figure.

Good Luck.
Jack.

• Noah
  • Give code definitions with numbers!
More
2 years 5 months ago #52565 by Noah
Replied by Noah on topic 1989 Ford F-150 5.8L
Sounds like possibly a vacuum leak to me.
That's exactly a friend of mine described his 5.0 when it had a vacuum leak (sounds like it has a bad ass cam!)

"Ground cannot be checked with a 10mm socket"
The following user(s) said Thank You: juergen.scholl

More
2 years 5 months ago #52567 by Mike T
Replied by Mike T on topic 1989 Ford F-150 5.8L
Yeah In section 8 it shows It’s measured in hz I looked back when it confused me. He talks all about it lol I just didn’t remember

More
2 years 5 months ago #52569 by Mike T
We have check for vacuum leaks. But it won’t hurt to check again. What gets me is I unplug the map and it runs great

More
2 years 5 months ago #52573 by Mike T
Okay get this! It’s the first for me but there is to much vacuum! 21 pounds and it runs great when I put 10 pounds on it. How can I lower the vacuum without a leak?

More
2 years 5 months ago #52577 by ontheriver
Replied by ontheriver on topic 1989 Ford F-150 5.8L
It's relying on the tps when map is unplugged, so check tps first, then smack map with a hammer, then replace, lol, have to ask this, any old sensors still in possession?

Time to create page: 0.213 seconds