Help us help you. By posting the year, make, model and engine near the beginning of your help request, followed by the symptoms (no start, high idle, misfire etc.) Along with any prevalent Diagnostic Trouble Codes, aka DTCs, other forum members will be able to help you get to a solution more quickly and easily!

2003 Mitsubishi Evo 8 from hell.....fast idle, dumb Dad

More
2 years 6 months ago #52439 by DaveC
Greetings from Southern California.  My son's 2003 Evo with 140k miles has a 15-1600 RPM idle that has alluded me as well as mechanics that charged, but didn't repair.

There are a couple things in the scan data that trouble me, mostly because I probably don't understand them completely. In closed loop with the engine warm Idle Adv shows around 22 degrees, CKP sensor shows 1500-1600 rpm, but CRANK Signal value is NO.  Can someone explain the difference between  CKP Sensor and CRANK Signal please?  

The reason I am focused on the CRANK sensor is because we have looked at just about everything else as listed below. Bypass test done. CKP Sensor responded with rpm change, but CRANK Signal did not change to YES.  Sensor was scoped and produced square waves. A few short spikes. Don't know if they are normal (noise) or not. Three wire, 12v power, 5v signal, ground.

NO codes.
  • Smoked for external vacuum leaks. None found.
  • TPS sensor checked, tested and calibrated. 566mv
  • Throttle Body cleaned and checked. Throttle plate fully closes. No idle screw to mess with, only stops.
  • IAC checked, changed, tested visually and with meter. IAC p 

File Attachment:

File Name: Scan.pdf
    File Size:457 KB
    assages on TB closed off with no change to idle.
  • CAM Sensor changed (Autel doesn't play nice with this car and I can't see any data other than rpm)
  • Pre-Cat O2 sensor changed and switching within range.  Fuel trims normal LTFT 3.2, STFT -0.4%
  • MAF sensor changed and seems to be functioning within expected range
  • Engine temp normal
  • EGR cleaned and vacuum tested (just because)
  • MAP changed (just because)
  • BOV changed (just because)
  • BAT 14.2v running
  • Injectors tested and changed as needed. 1.3ms
  • Engine load around 13%
  • No exhaust leaks found
  • No signs of head gasket or block issues (oil clean, coolant clean)
Hoping it isn't the ECU!  Thanks guys and gals!

File Attachment:

File Name: Scan.pdf
File Size:457 KB

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
2 years 6 months ago - 2 years 6 months ago #52440 by juergen.scholl
The crank signal parameter probably refers to the start authorization/starter motor command.... when you turn the ignition key to te start position it should show yes as long as you engage the starter motor. Verify this condition and if the pid shows "on" , "active" or something similar during cranking just forget about it.

The spark advance at 1500 rpm looks normal. With the throttle body completly blocked off the motor should die, if it does not then there is unauthorized air making its way into the engine. What engine exactly is in the car. Try to scan it in generic OBD2. If this works out then post comprehensive scan data, best under varying conditions.

An expert is someone who knows each time more on each time less, until he finally knows absolutely everything about absolutely nothing.
Last edit: 2 years 6 months ago by juergen.scholl.

More
2 years 6 months ago #52442 by DaveC
Thank you for the reply. I will try to post some scan data. Tried OB2 generic. I get some CHECK CODE and that's it. In Autel's defense, they state they support back to 2008, not 2003, but was hoping for more.

I didn't block off the TB, just the IAC ports, but yes I agree it should have made a difference. I have wondered if there is a place with a check valve or similar that doesn't allow smoke through but air gets in from the crank case or somewhere internal. Tried smoking through the air intake and the brake booster and no leaks were detected. Also, I would think fuel trims would show a lean condition, but they do not.

I will run a scan and post it here tomorrow hopefully.

DaveC

More
2 years 6 months ago #52443 by DaveC
Forgot to add the the Evo is a high performance 2.0L 4 cyl Turbo. It is stock, not heavily modified as many are.

More
2 years 6 months ago #52452 by DaveC
AUTEL DATA. 

File Attachment:

File Name: AUTEL_Data.pdf
File Size:671 KB
Attachments:

More
2 years 6 months ago #52454 by Andy.MacFadyen
Look for vacuum leaks  --- If you don't see anything obvious or blocking of the brake servo hose or crankcase breather dosen't  work try Paul's water spray method, simple but very effective another method is t to  use a rubber hose as a stephoscope
Higher tech methods are smoke test the inlet  or an ultra sonic leak detector.

" We're trying to plug a hole in the universe, what are you doing ?. "
(Walter Bishop Fringe TV show)

More
2 years 6 months ago #52500 by ksat22
If he had a vacuum leak, wouldn't his fuel trims values be off? Short term at +2.3% and long term at 0% looks mighty normal to me.

Time to create page: 0.216 seconds