Help us help you. By posting the year, make, model and engine near the beginning of your help request, followed by the symptoms (no start, high idle, misfire etc.) Along with any prevalent Diagnostic Trouble Codes, aka DTCs, other forum members will be able to help you get to a solution more quickly and easily!

Long cranking cold start

More
2 years 6 months ago #52413 by DragoT
Hi guys,
The car is GM Opel Frontera (in North America I think is Isuzu Rodeo) from 2000 with 2.2 petrol engine(X22SE). Customer complain is hard start and long cranking
when the engine is cold. He came from other shops where changed plugs, HV wires, fuel filter, cam sensor, known good Injectors (with fuel rail and pressure regulator) and known good fuel pump. 

No DTC set. In the morning I tried to start the engine. While cranking engine almost started. ECT, IAT, TPS, cam speed and RPM data was good. After 4-5 attempts finally runs. I drive the car several miles. Runs fine, no stall,  good acceleration. For
the rest of the day starts immediately every time. 

The next morning I used start spray and engine runs immediately. So I decided it was some sort of fuel delivery issue. Fuel pressure was 50 psi  with key on and drops to 30 after several minutes. Stable 60 while cranking (measured with gauge)  Service manual says it should be around 50. Drop the tank and check pump o-ring, hoses and etc..everything seems fine. Fuel lines from the tank to the rail are good. Injectors resistance in spec, feed and control wires ok ( test light method). No stuck or leaking injectors too - I take it to another shop for test. Cylinders compression  is in spec. Also checked load fuel pump circuit - good ground and power. 

Any ideas and suggestions are welcome. Unfortunately I don’t have scope, only scanner, multimeter and test light.

P.S. 
Please  excuse my English.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
2 years 6 months ago #52435 by eric.campbell1
Had a Rodeo recently had similar symptoms, turned out to be a simple vacuum leak and a computer reset. Maybe smoke test and make sure routing is correct, my find was an improperly routed fuel pressure regulator vacuum at the back of the fuel rail. And a few days driving (didn't even fix it right away lol) it was back to normal. Support for these cars are limited I had to use OBDII mode to diagnose lol.

Good luck

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Time to create page: 0.226 seconds